Considering Redoing My Reef. Advice Needed

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Storm, 23 Dec 2011.

1. Storm

Storm

Considering redoing my reef, after 5 years she needs some TLC ;)

Questions:

1) Shallow vs Deep Tank (Considering a 4ft shallow tank atm). What are the bennefits/cons? all I know is Deep has been a PAIN to clean when it came to glass algae
    2) Currently have a Over-flow box system trickeling down to the sump, should I stick with this or is a drilled setup more the norm these days?
    3) Substrate, what are people using these days? Ive still got beachsand in my system, havent had any queries but who knows maby theres something whiter.
    4) Skimmer, what are people using these days? Ive got a MacroAqua Skimmer. Eventhough the thing is pretty much useless it served its days.
    5) Lighting, what do people use these days? Im still using my 4 X T5 54w Geissman Lights for the Reef, but they are a DIY concoction. Any Light ballests I can consider adding them with? Maby lights that clip into a ballast?

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited: 23 Dec 2011
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

tony the questions you need to ask yourself is why are you wanting to change it? are you wanting to focus in another area of coral?

4. Storm

Storm Thread Starter

Yes + As I mentioned to you before, the DIY wooden roof is worn and the glass is scratched to bits. Shes old and shes worn out. So, If im going to change things I might aswel upgrade.

5. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

i would suggest a 10mm tank a little wider than usual.. i wouldent go shallower than .500mm with a waterlevel of 450mm

as scaping you couls go a little more with the minimalistic look, have a search for the igwami reef its a fantastic illustration of what you can do with a small system...

as for filtration, zeovit is pretty big in SA atm and for the first time there is constant supply.. so well worth considering...

Recent Posts