Considering changing from custom build tank to a RSM

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Criggy, 25 Mar 2015.

1. Criggy

Criggy

Hi guys -

I currently have a 1,2 x 450 tank.
    I am doing renovations and need to redo my tiling - problem is that the tank is on the tiles.
    I have been toying with the idea of changing to a RSM.
    I would do all tiling except for where the tank stands and then set up RSM and move water, LR etc all over to RSM and then shut down custon tank and do tiling there.

What I have in mind is a decent size RSM drilled - 3 chamber sump - ch1 filter sock, ch2 skimmer and biocubes and CH3 return pump.
    Id move over my Reeftek t2 skimmer, ATU, wavemaker and return pump and then sell the rest.
    I have a custom made perspex hood retrofitted with t5 lighting for the 1,2m tank.

I want to plan this well this time and get rid of all the small things that bother me with my existing setup.

Any thoughts on how to go about this and any good advice regarding RSM?
    I definitely want a LED setup this time round, im toying with the beach sand idea as opposed to aragonite, i will use all my figi LR and get rid of the kenyan, keep all livestock - namely 2 clowns, regal, YT and lawnmower- on that note will they be fine in a RSM? I want to add a flame angel also - thoughts?

Thinking also along the lien of how to incorporate my ATU, temp controller with fans etc as well as doser in a much smaller space???

Any thoughts, comments, suggestions would be appreciated :)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. tekkengal

tekkengal Moderator

Personally, I love my RSM tanks so you would probably get a biased answer from me :p
    There are several different sizes to consider and look at. Just note that the 130 and 250 do not have sumps and will probably be too small for a YT and Regal (unless you want to sell them when they out grow the tank).

The s-series tanks (400, 500 and 650) all have sumps. These are however too small to run a DSB effectively but you can use it for the various reactors as well as a refugium.

Some of the criticism with these tanks is that they are difficult to customise and that some of the equipment (like the skimmer) is not sufficient. I am quite happy with my setup however I am running a low stocked tank. The lighting is excellent and are sps ready out of the box. They are t5s however but there are customisable LED options (search for "Steve's LEDs") that can be retrofitted to the tank. Just a note, Red Sea are making an LED unit for the s-series tanks in the "near" future so you can be on the look out for that.

The s-series have a gravity fed ATU built into the back of the tank. The smaller 250 and 130 tanks have enough cabinet space to accomodate this and a chiller (left and right of the cabinet respectively).

I will see if I can find some pics of a neat 250 setup (mine is anything but neat :p ).

4. Bendor

Bendor

As neat as I can get mine. No sump, lid removed for LED's.
    Top up, ATU, plugs and inverter in cupboard.

image.jpg

5. Criggy

Criggy Thread Starter

hmmm the RSM sump setups cost a pretty penny. Is all of the standard hardware that comes with the system very decent. I have looked at a couple of the RSM threads and they provide mixed reviews.
    Why does one not just drill a RSM like people do with the boyu tanks?
    Do any RSM models come out with LED hoods? All I can seem to find is t5 with led moonlights.
    How would one incorporate a doser into a sumpless rsm?

6. Bendor

Bendor

If you can buy an old RSM 250 with good condition glass your can remember bed the hood and drill the back sump. Seems like a lot of effort just for the look. For a new RSM 250 or S series you could have a custom setup built that looks and functions amazing.

I love my 250 but my next tank is a custom with sump for sure.

7. Bendor

Bendor

Everything goes up behind the tank and back in. Chiller, ATM, reactors if you have any.

So you need good height on whatever pumps you are using. Not a problem with dosers though but chiller and ATM need big pumps.

8. Criggy

Criggy Thread Starter

whats the quality of tge rsm250 skimmer like?surely one could plumb in an external skimmer? Im a big fan of orca biocubes- how would i use them in this application? i see most ppl with rsm's have chillers- do tgey run warm? Lastly do none come with led hoods? Thanks guys

9. Bendor

Bendor

They run warm, closed hood.
    I removed hood and added LED's, still need chiller in PMB
    Stock skimmer works fine with some tips and an ATO.

Recent Posts