Conservation Bill final draft

Reaction score
Guys i am not going to harp on about the implications of this bill. I provide the information and suggest you all read, and those that take the industry very seriously, register and have your say.

163252f41292e2015.png

163252f41292ebb89.png

Last edited:
I did go through the document.

Not sure if I missed it, but it does not cover marine fish at all. Koi breeders with outside dams yes.

Plus the illegal fish list just points to another act of 2004. And that act just points again that the minister got 24 months to compile the list. No place to find it.

Maybe its because Gauteng is not a coastal province and that is why no marine is mentioned. Only place marine is mentioned is in the definitions:
“biodiversity” means the variability among living organisms from all sources including, terrestrial, marine and other aquatic ecosystems and the ecological complexes of which they are part and also includes diversity within species, between species, and of ecosystems;

Is there any specific section that I as a reefer should be looking at?

Last edited:
I am not in a position to go through it with you guys right now but I will answer all queries later this evening.

This legislation is the pilot legislation that will be adopted by all provinces once it get accepted. Be very careful as it is tarred with the same brush as e-tole.

Take special note of the "invertebrate" section.

To put it into perspective, these are the main points as mentioned by SAPTA...

The Gauteng Nature Conservation Bill will be revised. The proposed ordinance is however a real threat for all Pet Traders. IT WILL AFFECT EVERY SINGLE PERSON INVOVLED IN THE PET TRADE.

Herewith some of the problem areas:

· “Technically to sell a fish you will need a permit. However, to buy a fish you will need a permit. That means every customer who wants a koi or a goldfish or a clown fish will require a permit.

· Mammals you can sell in a pet shop are limited to 5 species.

· Reptiles are limited to non-venomous snakes and lizards, however technically even a bearded dragon has venom.

· No meal worms, crickets, roaches, silk worms or stick insects will be allowed to be sold.”

Just because it does not specifically include marines does not mean that it excludes them. I will be fighting for them to specifically exclude all marines. Remember that all marine species are alien species in Gauteng.

I was also under the impression that this Bill was for Natural systems, something out tanks certainly arent.

Think i should stop commenting till you have feedback.

Correct me if I'm wrong please, but I seem to recall in the 1980's we needed a permit from the postoffice as well stipulating one kept a marine aquarium on their property?

Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong please, but I seem to recall in the 1980's we needed a permit from the postoffice as well stipulating one kept a marine aquarium on their property?

Quote:
The Gauteng Nature Conservation Bill will be revised. The proposed ordinance is however a real threat for all Pet Traders. IT WILL AFFECT EVERY SINGLE PERSON INVOVLED IN THE PET TRADE.

Herewith some of the problem areas:

· “Technically to sell a fish you will need a permit. However, to buy a fish you will need a permit. That means every customer who wants a koi or a goldfish or a clown fish will require a permit.

· Mammals you can sell in a pet shop are limited to 5 species.

· Reptiles are limited to non-venomous snakes and lizards, however technically even a bearded dragon has venom.

· No meal worms, crickets, roaches, silk worms or stick insects will be allowed to be sold.”

Only in "Natal" and from the Parks Board, not the Post Office...

Here's a copy of one of my man's old ones....
picture.php

while i have read the bill, i see no mention of ornamentals, and in the list of alien species i do see some, will be good to see what happens

I understand the other implications like crickets for lizards. They will kill another industry. Mealworms colonies are kept to be food for lizards. So all the people in the trade who supply mealworms or crickets to the Pet shop industry just lost their jobs and income.

Breeding Budgies or having a budgie then also requires a permit. Technically it is an alien species. How far will they take it?

Back
Top Bottom