connecting refuge

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Robert., 22 Apr 2011.

1. Robert.

Robert.

Hi guys, Today i was gonna connect refuigium to main tank BUT as soon as i was about to start... i found out the back compartment is not perspex which i though, but glass covered in a black cover:( So can i just go to any hardware store and get a glass drill bit?

Im not sure if its Acryllic or glass as this is a very old tank and i cant remember:blush: but i think it will be the same?

BTW how do u guys connect your pipes, ect to your refugeiums that arnt pre drilled...

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Robert.

Robert. Thread Starter

I just want to know, i have LR in my Refugeium at the moment but can i put it in my Display? IS it nesessary to have LR in the refuge? as im not breeding colonies of pods for a mandiran..

# must i let the rock cycle first?- its only 3 small pieces:)

4. Meneer

Meneer

Yes, you can go buy a glass drill bit, but if you have no experience in glass drilling, I would do some reading on it if I were you. If the tank is not to big, it is normally cheaper to take it to a glass place and have it drilled than buying a glass drill bit.

The refugium is normally in the sump area, so getting water from the return is no big deal,unless you have no sump at all.

The LR is part of your biological filtration system, so you can put it in your dt if you want. It does not have to cycle first - in fact, it is normally used as part of cycling a new tank. You do not need LR in your refuge, as it is mainly for plants acting as a nitrite/nitrate filter system, and not for aerobic or anaerobic bacteria colonies for filtration purposes.

5. Robert.

Robert. Thread Starter

My refugeium is compiled out of 3 sections. 1 being the LR section 2 being my DSB and 3 being the return to the Display, so if i dont need the LR in the refugeium then can i just convert the LR section into another DSB?

6. Meneer

Meneer

What are the dimensions of the sump/tank?

Any pictures?

LR in the DSB is usefull for initial seeding, but once that is done, the bacteria in the DSB takes over and you can put the LR in your dt.

You do not need a LR section in the sump.

7. Robert.

Robert. Thread Starter

AWsome! thanks Meneer:thumbup:

Ill post pics when the system becomes more respectiable ;)

As for seeding.. Later this morning i have to move my tank to the living room so i put all the rock in a bucket and when i removed rocks, a layer a debris stayed, which contained some critters.

But to be safe ill place a established rock in the Sand:)

As for drilling the tank, ill drain it tonight and get it drilled by a glass shop tommorrow:)

8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

A Picture says a thousand words...

Anyway, I used to have a overflow siphon setup on a tank that was not drilled. Yes its possible, but not fail safe. so rather get it drilled.

Your refugium sounds more like a normal sump. A refugium is a place where you keep macro algae. Like Cheato or Caulerpa, with a light running with reverse cycle to your main display. OK some overlap is actually better.

I prefer life rock to be in the display. But again a picture will help a lot.

9. Robert.

Robert. Thread Starter

ill post pics later today:)

Riaan, can u plz explain ur siphon setup:) Will it help me to get the water from my display to the sump? without drilling?!?. As due to the fact that my tank is not drilled, i have to have my sump higher than my display.. which looks very bad:(:1hissyfit::y14::pissedoff:

Last edited: 23 Apr 2011
  10. Robert.

Robert. Thread Starter

if so, how does it balance the flow of water being pumped by the one pump to prevent a flood.

11. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Its not failsafe, but it works. It needs to be checked weekly, and you must check for air trapped.

[​IMG]
    setup, from entrance point. Inside tank pipe 1 facing up, with 2 elbows at the bottom (hidden in this pic). Top of that pipe 1 is the water height in the tank.
    Pipe 2 inside the tank going up and as eight as tank rim.
    90 elbow, short horizontal pipe 3, and another elbow. Can see that in the back.
    Pipe 4 running down with two elbows at the bottom.
    Pipe 5 (black) going up connected to T-piece, T-piece must be below water level, not too low else water level inside first pipe is too low, not to heigh, else no flow.
    Top of T-piece, just an safety extension, pipe 6, to top of tank.
    T-piece side out, elbow, and downpipe 7 to your sump.

On pipe 3, horizontal, drill small 6mm hole, and connect airline tubing it. Connect other side to venturi inlet of old style power heads. It will suck out the air and keep the siphon, even after power outage.
    [​IMG]

Now, the problems,
    The airline tube gets algae inside and it blocks, so rather use black micro irrigation tubing.
    But now you can not see if it does suck out the air. So use airline connected to back tubing, in a spot the light does not fall on it.

Top of tank should be able to handle amount of water inside pipes, to allow pump time to pull air out.

T-piece too low, and bubbles will enter and go into the loop.

Micro -bubbles always into the tank, aim powerhead to not blow on corals or liverock.

Make sure your return pump switch is easily within reach. (you will understand later)

Use silicone, not PVC glue, you will redo it.

CHECK EVERY WEEKEND IT THE AIRLINE TUBE IS NOT BLOCKED.

Last edited: 24 Apr 2011
  12. Robert.

Robert. Thread Starter

Ur awsome:thumbup:, i set it up and its working!

But By not being fail safe, do u mean that if power goes of then ull have a flood??

13. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Nope, pump should start the siphon and it will run when power comes back on.

Problem is that the thin line does get blocked by algae growing inside it, or by anything that entered the inlet. And you do not see that it is not pulling out air any more. And with strong return pumps - meaning stronger overflow rates, a lot of air bubbles do travel all the way down the inlet. And they collect at the highest point. Eventually breaking the siphon. That is why you must check the overflow function at least twice a week.

The lower the T-piece, the more bubbles will enter. It should be just under the water level in the tank.

Recent Posts