Confused?

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by PostersPlus, 5 Feb 2010.

1. PostersPlus

PostersPlus

I need some advice on DSB. Are they necessary? What is there purpose? If i will be running a FOWLR should i have one? If i do, can you just use aragonite or is it a specific sand needed?

I apologise if these questions have been answered before but im new to this site and cant seem to find anything?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. nemo_jhb

nemo_jhb

4. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

DSB made with play sand would work really well in a FOWLR :thumbup: the bigger the better.

5. PostersPlus

PostersPlus Thread Starter

Thank you

6. Pads

Pads

Hey PP, There is an endless debate over whether a DSB is neccessary in our systems and whether there are better forms of filtration. IMO I think that in terms of cost, a DSB is a relatively cost effective way of filtering your water. You would simply need to follow the directions on size and water flow rate to ensure its effectiveness, plus the added benefit of it hosting pods that may be fed back in to your system. There are many additional biological filters like chaeto and correct application of a Algae Scrubber that can greatly assist your DSB.

Have a read of the above Thread on DSB to assist your decisions.

7. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

:lol:thats what they say there are many ways to skin a cat.:whistling:

8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Look at it from other methods of filtration, excluding Skimmers, always needs them - well that is also a debate - skimmers versus scrubbers.

But

Mechanical, filter floss, sponges etc, blocks up and needs rinsing (daily).

Chemical, carbon, phosphate remover etc, pricey monthly maintenance.

BIOLOGICAL, take its time to get fully operational, cheap to set up and FREE running cost. Here we talk about DSB, Scrubber and even Bio-balls and ceramic rings. (but the last two can also block up)

So what is the cheapest and least amount of work. Yeah, a DSB

9. Warr7207

Warr7207

For a FOWLR sytem, you could use a BIG skimmer and nothing else. Remember you are not aiming for a low nutrient system.

A DSB would help with filtration and create a fishless environment where pods can thrive and feed the main tank.

10. crispin

crispin

Agreed with warr, a DSB is NOT a must witha fowlr system, the nitrates are not particularly dangerous to fish as they are to inverts and corals so you dont HAVE to complete the Nitrogen cycle. Hence the reason so many people use bio balls and ceramic rings for fish only system. You may run into problems with cyno bacteria and the like with raised nitrates and nitrites.

However i personally would still use one as its easy to do, realativley inexpensive and you get better water quailty while giving the bilological aspect to your filtration time to collonise, expand and mature. This in turn will give you options down the line IF you wanted to change from a Fish only system into a reef tank. Without the DSb in place and a high nitrate level (read bio balls etc) that would be far harder to do. So i would advice setting up the cappasity of running a tank with a complete Nitrogen cycle, it will only do your tank good:)

as to substrate play sand will work just as well, and is a cheaper form of substrate than aragonite, although i believe (personal observation not scientific research) that you get better results with aragonite due to better environment for micro organisms and water movement through the DSB than you do with reggies.

oh and if you go with a big skimmer as warr suggests, that will most likely do a reef tank good later on if you went that route, but is a neccesity in a FOWLR (especially with high waste producers like tangs and triggers or preadtor fish)

11. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Firstly, WELCOME to MASA, and to this great hobby.

Just use the search function located on the second row at the top of each page (between "My posts" and "Quick links").

Entering DLSB, DSB gave me two whole pages of links, amongst others:

http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/showthread.php?t=15243&highlight=DLSB%2C+DSB
    What substrate should I use? - Marine Aquariums of South Africa
    filter enquiry - Marine Aquariums of South Africa
    Reggies sand in a DSB - Marine Aquariums of South Africa
    Thread dsb - Marine Aquariums of South Africa
    FAQs on Sandbed Dimensions - Marine Aquariums of South Africa
    mix reggies sand and crushed coral? - Marine Aquariums of South Africa
    Q. on Plenum with DSB - Marine Aquariums of South Africa
    DSB does a marine tank need one - Marine Aquariums of South Africa
    Deep sand bed parameters - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

Enjoy the research, and feel free to come back with more questions after you've done that...

Hennie

Recent Posts