Confused over Tangs

Discussion in 'Fish Only Tanks, Predator Tanks' started by riyadhessa, 12 Aug 2009.

1. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Okay...I've done quite a bit of reading and looking at most of the tanks of members here...

People say that Tangs need space to swim...In one post that i read this person said that tangs in the ocean have space of an Olympic swimming pool...I cant remember what thread it was but could the person who posted that please tell me if i am wrong...

Then there is people with their two mtr setups which has three to four tang in their system...is this not misleading...

I have a 1200 setup and i was told that i cannot even keep one tang...

People got mad over certain members having a tang in a nano...Yes this is not right for the health of the fish...and i agree...

But why can certain people keep tangs in a small setup and nothing is said about it...

Whats happening here...aren't we here to learn from one another...

Well what i can say, as a newbie am very confused seeing what is happening and the Guru's, Advisors, etc is doing nothing to the members that has three to four tangs in their systems...

But let us, the newbies slip up and have a tang in their system then all hell breaks loose...

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. keyaam

keyaam

This has been covered so many times on many forums so you will have to wait for the mods(tang police) to reply. I have seen your setup Riyaad and there are members on the forum who have the same size tank and have 2 or three tangs.

4. Sentari

Sentari

Personally i think its up to what you think as a reefer. i also have a 1.2m tank and i'm also going to have a tang. I will make sure he has enough swimming place and when he gets big i'll have to find another home for him.

5. dogstar

dogstar

Lol, seen this one many many times.

I haven't got any tangs because of advice from the forum. However i have seen tanks where people have tangs in tanks my size.

Sometimes these guy have setups which have been running for a while and are asking advice about different stuff - hence people don't shoot them down. Also, once its in there, not much that you can do to stop them. Members dont always look at people tanks and point out every single thing that is wrong with them.

For the others and this applies to guys starting their systems and charting their progress of their tanks on the site, the members will advise you want to do and what not to do. They are a part of your tanks progress.

I would take the advice of the forum into consideration, but also do some of your own research and decide. eg. For a Yellow tang, Liveaquaria recommend a tank size minimum of 100 gallons, approx 380 litres. So depending on your tank volume you can decide.

6. scubaninja

scubaninja

IMO there are a lot of factors to consider. Firstly space. Tangs need space, some more than others, when tangs swim they go ''kick kick glide, kick kick glide''. So if your tang can do that you could consider that enough space. Obviously a tiny tang can do more kicks and glides in the same size tank. so tang size is important. A huge tang wont do very well in a small tank. The next is territory. A tang introduced before everyone else will consider the tank his territory. And so another intriduced later will be intruding and will be chased. But if two are introduced at the same time they will share, and shoal together. The type of tang you get is also important. PBs are very aggressive, and would need more space so as not to be so aggressive as he will have his own area and there will be other space for the other tangs if any. Food is another thing, will there be enough food(veggie) in the tank for your tang(s)? Nori is a good option to ensure this, so if there wasnt enough food they would fight. In the end the indicator for all of this is aggression. If one of my tangs attacked another and it seemed too violent i would worry and start looking to find them other homes if indeed the tank is cramped. But this may just be aggression between species, for example between Acanthurus species or of the same shape.

So there is a balance, IMO the Acanthurus surgeons need more space than say a PT. So the limits can be seen. if a tang can swim from end to end with a few kicks and then turn around and do the same isnt that more or less the same if it did it in a straight line? You can get a feeling of the fish being cramped in a tank just by looking at it, i.e if there was too much rock etc, but if its open in terms of scaping IMO its better. My tangs glide infront of my pumps sometimes, like we would on a treadmill. that also helps. If we should only have tangs in tanks the size of an olympic swimming pool why arent all the tangs dying in our tanks from being cramped(as in not from any other reason or mistake etc). We can figure this by how long they live, if a tang has a life expectancy of say 5 years, and it lives in our tanks for 4.5years would you consider it as having lived a realtively long life in terms of their actual expectancy? There are a lot of things to consider, but there are certain 'guidelines' for a reason. By trial and error we have been learning, so such guidelines are generally accepted. IMHO i think a 4ft is the smallest that you can have a tang in, and even then not in a heavily stocked tank. If one tang can swim from side to side happily, why cant two do it side by side? its still the same distance. I think personally there is a balance and you must find it yourself, either by being guided by the experienced reefers or by your own common sense

jacquesb and Reef Maniac like this.
  7. Midasblenny

Midasblenny

What a well thought post, scuba. I agree with all you have said.

8. scubaninja

scubaninja

thanks midas
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. clinton stanford

clinton stanford

awesome post scuba;)

10. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

Well what a nest of hornets that has been stirred up here ......

Scuba, great post, but the way i read the first post in this thread there are several issues.....

One ... can you keep tangs in a 1200mm tank (well answered by Scuba)

two .... why are the guru's etc not coming down on ppl with too many tangs in their systems ....... the answer to this is not so simple.... firstly MASA is not a police force.... it is a group of like minded people who help each other ..... as explained by Scuba it is not as simple as saying a 1m tank can have 1 tang, a 1.2m tank 2 tangs and a 1,8m tank 3 or more .......

Three............ some people with tangs in their tanks are saying that a similar sized tank is not suitable for a tang ....... I have noticed this on MASA and have remained silent on this.... in the future perhaps people saying these sorts of things should explain their views in more detail...... newbies do not read through too many threads (to their detrement) and an explanation like that given above by scuba would be FAR better than simply saying a tang needs a bigger tank....

Reef Maniac likes this.
  11. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Yes, I said that. I did not say that one should have a tank the size of a swimming pool, though - I said that IN NATURE each tang would have a territory the size of an Olympic swimming pool.

Tangs are herbivores - in other words, they eat algae. Algae in the ocean grow quite slowly (due to the very low levels of nitrate, phosphate, iron, etc.), and a large tang would easily eat up all the algae in a small area, and then starve to death whilst waiting for the algae to re-grow. If the tang's grazing territory is large enough (approximately the size of that swimming pool), then the algae at one end of the territory would have time to re-grow before the tang has completed his circuit, as long as there is no further predation of the algae by any other tang (or other herbivore...). So, in order to have enough food to survive, tangs have developed a high sense of territoriality, attacking and driving off any other tang entering it's grazing area. This territoriality is instinctive, and tangs will still defend their territory even if there is an abundance of algae.

Because of fierce competition, and because they are not strong/large enough to drive off a large, "settled" adult tang, juvenile tangs often school together to "attack" the territory of a large adult. This works quite well, as the large adult will end up chasing a few of the juveniles, while all their buddies would "steal" the algae of the large adult. One often see photos of large schools of tangs doing this, as one photo posted earlier on another thread has shown. This schooling is NOT permanent, though - as soon as space, availability of food and/or age dictates, the school will break up and each tang will start to fight for it's own territory, with most of the school members being killed (or dying from hunger...) in the process.

Although each aquarist must ultimately decide for him/her self, I would again urge everyone to try to limit the number of tangs kept in a tank to only one, or maximum two (if the tank is large enough), and to never keep any tang in a tank which is too small.

Hennie

12. martinkeyser

martinkeyser

thanx hennie.
    as i am new i thought of having a lot of tangs in my 1.2m tank when it gets going. they are really pretty, but now i`d reconsider!

13. riyadhessa

riyadhessa Thread Starter

I thank you guys for the brilliant information i do understand now...

14. riyadhessa

I thank you for taking the time to explain and this has cleared up a lot of how/what i felt...

15. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

16. amalick

amalick

What about this

Just thought I would be controversial and put a cat amongst the pigeons

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Riyad - it is my opinion, that everything boils down to whether one can happily keep the fish alive in your tank, or not.

Generically, the following is known:
    - tangs grow quickly
    - tangs grow quite large
    - tangs are extremely territorial
    - tangs may, or may NOT accept other species of tangs or surgeonfish, in "their territory"
    - tangs, when stressed, get whitespot very easily
    - in nature, tangs do not have that much available food - whereas in our aquariums, we control how much food our tangs get
    - a "full tang" (full = eaten enough) equals a "happy tang" and also makes tangs slightly more subdued (ie. takes their aggression away slightly)
    - if a tang get's white-spot (c. irritans), it CAN die, and also possibly infect all your other fish, causing them too to die
    - tangs like having "spaces" in the rockwork where they can go sleep, and go "hide" to make them feel "safe"

So - taken the above knowledge into account, would be my "formula" whether one is able and whether one SHOULD keep a tang in their tank or not.

If you can ensure that the tang/s is/are fed enough (without fouling your tank's water too much), and can ensure enough hiding spaces in your tank, for the total number of tangs that you have - AND you can feed often enough. You SHOULD be able (within limits) to keep a tang or two.
    If your water volume in your tank's display is enough, and the tank is wide enough for the tang/s to swim - then you SHOULD be able to keep a tang or 2...
    If you can safely answer all the questions / statements as above - you should be able to keep a tang or two.

If you cannot "answer" to any of the statements above - then you should NOT keep any tangs at all.

Just my opinion.... ;)

Jenaid likes this.
  18. Andreas

Andreas

Great read guys.Thanks Scuba, Hennie and Jacques;)

19. riyadhessa

Well what i do want to say Scubaninja, Reef Maniac, Jacquesb excellent explanation....

This is how people must be informed...:thumbup:

I do now have a better understanding...Thanks to you guys...;)

Thanks

20. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

So Riyad...are you going to go buy yourself a Tang now? :lol:

PS. Thanks for all the info guys! :thumbup:

21. scubaninja

scubaninja

Glad to be usefull guys :)

Recent Posts