confused by aqua vet

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by avikar91, 18 Nov 2014.

1. avikar91

avikar91

Its been a week and half that my tank is cycling with sand and live rock.

I know its 6 to 8 weeks when a tank is ready for livestock if the parameters are acceptable

This guy tells me I'm ready for my two clowns and should pick it up tomorrow. I told him but its only been a week+ cycling and he said my water parameters are fine from day 3.

Problem is he only has two clowns in his place in a tank of their own he now wants them out as he will be putting new livestock in there. These clowns his giving me is free of charge but I don't want to kill fish by rushing into things. I don't mind buying clowns later on but I live on the upper northcoast of durban not many shops that keep marine fish are nearby or that I know of so I if I tell him I don't want these clowns I wouldn't get any anytime soon.

What would you guys do in this situation? I'm just very nervous and excited about my tank I don't want any mistakes

Also I don't have a skimmer I came across purigen would you recommend using it just for now until I get my hands on an appropriate skimmer

Thanks in advance

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

i would make arrangements with a sponsor or another reefer to help you out by keeping them for you

Fred d likes this.
  4. rakabos

rakabos

Without being rude, this statement alone makes me wonder if you really know anything about it. The time period is to establish what? A working bio-filter in the form of bacteria.

These can be established quickly and safely in various ways. You need to do a lot more reading on the nitrogen cycle.

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Where did you get your rock from? Mostly the cycle is there for the dead things in the rocks to decompose and either rot away or be eaten.

If the rock did smell at all, then you have dead things in there. The worst the smell, the more things are dead...

If rock comes from an established tank. Or was already for a long time under water at the shop, and you did not left it out of the water for too long getting it home, then it could be OK in a much shorter period. But any smell and there is no way that it will be ready in 3 days.

Best is to have the ammonia levels tested. Most important parameter early on. After ammonia is out of the system the others normally fall into place quickly.

Or as suggested, get somebody with established tank to look after them for you. That is if the tank they come out, is disease free.

Krushto and (deleted member) like this.
  6. TaahirS

TaahirS MASA Contributor

Definitely use the purigen until you get a skimmer. What are your water parameters and did you do any form of bacterial dosing(special blend, stability etc?)

7. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

8. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

The NO2 cycle can be just as long as the NH4 cycle, even though NO2 isn't as toxic as NH4 because the Cl ions prevent uptake via the gills it can cause stress in fish. Rather allow the whole cycle to reach it's finality. TEST, TEST, TEST. Take water to a reputable LFS for testing.

dallasg and RiaanP like this.
  9. avikar91

avikar91 Thread Starter

Salinity 1.025
    Ph 8.4
    Ammonia 0
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 0
    Temp 35.2 degrees
    I have a basic test kit
    @RiaanP the rock was given to me from an established tank it was also placed in a bucket of saltwater when bringing it home so it didn't dry out. He also instructed me to do 10% water change today.
    @TaahirS I will use purigen thank you... We did bacteria dosing the first 3 days using Photosynthetic Bacteria and 14 in 1 Nitrifying Bacteria.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  10. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

That is way too high, you need to get that down to between 25 and 27 and keep it stable before putting livestock in the tank.

carlosdeandrade likes this.
  11. TaahirS

TaahirS MASA Contributor

Everything looks good but your temp is waaaaaaay too high!

12. avikar91

avikar91 Thread Starter

Sorry sorry guys I meant 25.2 degrees now its 26.0 degrees

13. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

that does change the scenario completely.
    Its than like a tank move, or swap to bigger tank. Guys can and they do that on one day. So it should be fine. Have your parameters tested tomorrow and most likely they will be OK.

Parraman and TaahirS like this.
  14. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

Not to disagree with anybody here, but perspective is important I would think.
    We are dealing here with a person who is new to saltwater fish keeping, has recently bought a 60L nano, no skimmer and is still getting his head around things.
    Truth is, a nano is a potentially unstable environment, due to the small volume of water. Add to that the lack of experience, the fact that a reputable LFS is few and far between..
    So, instead of insulting or rather "questioning" the hobbyists knowledge, offer him some sound advice, which, is what he asked for.
    Fortunately, he has some experience with freshwater, so doubt if the nitrogen cycle is completely unknown.
    It is also importtant to note that he has done some reading and if there is one thing we can read into his posts, is willingness to do things right....
    Ok, soap box sorted, now, avikar, the nitrogen cycle can be established in a very short time, and by experienced aquarists, even adding delicate species like stony corals can be done in a day, yes, even in a nano. BUT the word to focus on is experienced..... ;)
    Bear in mind, the parameters you have posted, are nothing but a snapshot in time, and not a true reflection of what is really going on in your tank.
    The reason parameters might seem acceptable, is because there has been nothing to add pressure on the nitrogen cycle players... Which, in essence, is what you will do by adding two clown fish.
    Where in the north are you located? There are very experienced reefers that post on here as far north as Richards Bay, specifically Sean Koekemoer comes to mind. Perhaps search for him, he might be able to help... If one of the mods can pls do the @ tagging thing here...? @seank
    Please.
    Alternatively, if you really want those two clowns, and want them now, I would recommend doing the following:
    - get a bacterial suppliment, something like seachem stability, as it will greatly help the nitrogen cycle.
    Dose it daily according to supplier recommendation. I see you were dosing bac, not familiar with the product so can't comment either way, will rather stick to what I am familiar with.
    - do 10% water changes every week, ensuring that the new water matches that of the tank exactly in terms of salinity, pH, temp and alkalinity.
    - invest in one of those seachem ammonia monitors, think its called ammo guard or ammonia alert, a little disc you mount inside the tank, and watch it like a hawk.
    - have RO water ready for daily top ups to replace water lost to evaporation.
    - invest in a skimmer as a matter of urgency

There are ither "tricks" i would employ, but not without a decent skimmer in a sump.

15. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

16. avikar91

avikar91 Thread Starter

Thank you guys so much

irie ivan I'm located in Stanger

I did come across the seachem ammonia monitor disc at the shop will grab it tomorrow will also look for seachem stability. Also I'm on the look out for a skimmer, the guys here don't stock skimmers for a 60L nano. He also promised me nothing will happen to the clowns as longs a I do 10% water changes weekly and monitoring my parameters. I did get the clowns today he came doubled checked my parameters and did the acclimating process with them. Thank you guys for all the help and info thank you

17. TaahirS

TaahirS MASA Contributor

18. Anita

Anita Sponsor

You can take the 9001 DOC Skimmer from TUNZE, will be perfect for you, send me your email and I will send you a quote ... Cheers Anita

19. seank

seank

Who wants help.... Shout out loud.. :biggrin:

I pass thru Stanger every 2nd day to Maphomulu.
    Shout if you want me to stop at your place sometime.
    Please rather inbox me if you want to communicate.
    I have not been on the forum for a couple of weeks and am not going to be for the next few weeks (much easier with facebook...lol) due to work constraints.

20. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

@seank
    Have you got tapatalk installed? It's free and sends push notifications for PM's etc. Then you can be online 24/7 :p

Last edited: 26 Nov 2015
  21. avikar91

avikar91 Thread Starter

Ah thanks seank :) definitely will

Recent Posts