Confused about skimmer dont's

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers, Mechanical Filtration' started by Mr_G, 18 Oct 2010.

1. Mr_G

Mr_G

I have build my own custom tank, custom sump, and have a 300L/h via aqua skimmer, I build gthe sump such, that my water falls into a compartment, and then goes through tghe skimmer before it can go through the rest of the sump, I calibrated my return pump and skimmer so all is in sequence, but now Im confused, does the skimmer need to skim all the water or just some of it, cause simce I did this, it has been skimming alot of junk out the water, bugt Im afraid Im loosing good bacteria skimming every liter of water... i have an easy fix if it doesnt have to skim every liter, but whagts best?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. fly*

fly* MASA Contributor

Junks good...if theres no junk I would be worried. A skimmer only takes nutrients (good and bad) out of the water but you wont lose your bacteria. Just let it do its thing :)

Last edited: 18 Oct 2010
  4. rakabos

rakabos

Id like to see some pics ;)

5. Mr_G

Mr_G Thread Starter

i would love to post some, but using my fone...imposible to post pics then...

6. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

removing waste is an important task, bacteria multiply all the time the more you knock them the stronger they come back.. so having a skimmer that is able to service as much volume as possible is a good thing..

7. durleo

durleo

Did you set ur skimmer to skim dry or wet - If it is too watery then adjust it a bit so that the skimate is more concentrated.

8. Mr_G

Mr_G Thread Starter

its wet now..., fills up my collection cup to half in about 5 days...smells real bad the toxins...lol... Dont know why, but I smell it everytime...lol... I let it skim wet cause I added new dsb, so just need all the crap out first... Will adjust it soon... Must say Im very negative since last night, bought a bi colour angel, small, yesterday, not sure if it was sick or something, butg I followed the right procedure to put it in, came home last night and it was dead, my other fish are 100C even my anemone is very happy, so not sure, my water par is perfect... I just wanted to end the hobby because of that one fish... But think it was more because I havent slept for 40hours...

9. rakabos

rakabos

What other fish do you have? My bi-color was killed by a jumping bean

10. Mr_G

Mr_G Thread Starter

Cromis, clownfish percular, I traded my damsel for the angel... Not sure if the angel was sensitive, but I didnt even have time to heal him, he died in 2hours, cause I just went to church, came back and dead...it was swimming behind the LR when I put it in, else I only got cleaner shrimp, they wont do anything... Very frutrated and confused...

11. rakabos

rakabos

Hey it happens man. I had the most amazing yellow tipped torch coral which just died for no reason while the rest was flourishing. It may be the stress from transporting or was sick already before you got it.

12. Mr_G

Mr_G Thread Starter

Yeah, he was blue and yellow when I took him, put him in the tank he was black and yellow, I know they change colour when annoyed, but can it be that my car suspension is to hard...lol...

Recent Posts