Concrete mixes

Discussion in 'Anything DIY Related' started by seank, 24 Feb 2009.

1. seank

seank

For those guys wanting to do some DIY work at home- maybe a concrete base for your tank etc, here is a calculator you can use to determine how much you need. This is just a basic calculator:

Use the C20 calculator. Remember that the amount of water is always important:

Paving Expert - Calculators

For the more experienced Fellas, you can try this one, if you need help, please feel free to contact me:

Concrete Mix Design - Design Procedure

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. seank

seank Thread Starter

This is one of the home pages. Here you can find mix designs for "dagha"etc when you want to built something with bricks etc. Also an interesting page to read about the importance of water, fine aggregates etc. Sommer check out the rest of the calculators too. Hope you guys can use some of the info:

Paving Expert - AJ McCormack and Son - Mixing Concrete

4. seank

seank Thread Starter

Mortars

Mortars are used throughout the construction industry for a variety of purposes, including brick-laying, bedding of small concrete component such as ridge tiles, and for the sealing of certain types of paving. It has a host of different names; the public often wrongly refer to it as 'cement', while on site it may be called 'Gobbo', 'Compo', 'Wallop', 'Muck' or much worse. Here, a general purpose mortar for paving use will be described. Contact with wet cement can damage skin and/or eyes. Always wear protective gloves before handling, and avoid contact with the eyes, or uncovered skin.
    See the Working Safely page for more details on safe working practices. Wash off immediately, if cement, or a cement-based material, comes into contact with your skin. Some people may experience 'cement burns' if wet cement is left in contact with the skin for prolonged periods. Not fatal, but quite painful!
    [​IMG]
    Cement burn on my own hand....OWWW!!

5. naptalene

naptalene

Jeez that looks painful. I used gloves when I made my rocks and thought I was being a bit of a girl:whistling: glad I used them after seeing that. Can you get a similar effect from Kalk? That's also seriously alkaline, or is it a different property that causes the burn?

6. seank

seank Thread Starter

No, kalk does not burn like that, it is when cement is wet , then a chemical reaction takes place, believe me if I say I saw much worse in my life than that man's finger wrt cement. Can even cook an egg in Cement

7. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Great thread, thanks Sean!

8. Andreas

Andreas

Very interesting.That burn looks painful:biggrin:

9. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

Top stuff Sean, though the finger looks very painful:(

Recent Posts