Conch needed

Discussion in 'Nuisance Algae' started by Marine1, 20 Jan 2012.

1. Marine1

Marine1

Hi
    Will a conch , queen or fighting be able to help with cyno?

I would like to ask the clever people if this could be the natural solution or do I go chemical which I don't want to do but enough of this red slime.

Thanks

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

You might want to try a Turbo Snail....the Link to the CUC has more to choose from, but Turbo does Cyano...
    [​IMG]
    Your First Marine Invertebrates - Choosing a Clean up crew - CUC - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

A note to remember...
    Mexican turbo snail – Turbo fluctuosa

Some Info on Fighting Conch...
    Fighting Conch - Strombus alatus

Last edited: 21 Jan 2012
  4. Marine1

Marine1 Thread Starter

Hi
    I do have turbo and they are not coping.

Thanks

5. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Rather sort out whats causing the cyano.

6. Marine1

Marine1 Thread Starter

Believe me I have. I'm running a fluidized reactor, np pellets, 2 x skimmers, filter bags on inlet from DT , lights on for 6 hours, feeding ever third day, Dsb , uv light. What can I still do?

7. Helga

Helga

Try an airstone in your sump. And add an extra pump directed to the surface of the tank. I have been battling cyano for 2 months now. Have raised a few parameters (Alk, Calc, Magn) as well.

But since I added the airstone the cyano is going away slowly but surely. It has been 2 weeks now and I have only a few spots left. I'm hoping its gonna dissapear. Maybe it helps for you too. ;)

8. crispin

crispin

you dont mention water changes which would be my first port of call.

what do you run in the reactor, phosphate media i assume? what brand and how often do you change it.

i think you are treating cyano as if its an algae. its not. its a bacteria and although it looks like algae its very different in its make up.

Have you thought of adding a scrubber to the system, some great DIY scrubbers on Masa and easy to do, will help alot with the DOC in the system.

also you mention you are running two skimmers, what skimmers are they, what are they rated to do and how big is the tank? often one quality brand skimmer will out produce two smaller and cheaper models.

increaseing the disolved oxygen will help, as helga says a simple airstone in the sump can do the trick.

what brand of salt do you use? is it a ballanced decent brand of salt?

cyano isnt actually that hard to controll (note i say controll and not get rid of as thats a diferent kettle of fish all together) and you should be able to get ontop of it within a month or two.

9. crispin

crispin

the other thing to do is simply remove it. Siphon it off using a fairly wide flexible hose when you do your water changes each sunday after church. i say after church as you should be praying it goes away too:)

10. Marine1

Marine1 Thread Starter

Thanks ive got a powerhead with an airpipe will use that , should do the trick.

Keep you updated

Thanks again

11. Marine1

Marine1 Thread Starter

I remove it every week

12. neemow

neemow

I used to have a problem with cyano bt after I got a sea hare it seemed to disappear ,I'm not an expert on this stuff but I think they eat cyano :)

13. Achilles

Achilles

Biopellets can make cyano worse, cyano can feed on nutrients other algaes cant, make sure your skimmer is skimming out the bacteria and mulm produced by the pellets or your feeding cyano.Biopllets only work with extremely good skimming

crispin likes this.
  14. Marine1

Marine1 Thread Starter

I've got the np's outlet plumbed directly into my deltec skimmer and it is rated for a 2500 l system.

15. Tremayn

Tremayn

I had some really crappy thick cyano. I noticed that I didnt have much surface agitation as the pumps are pretty dirty now so I moved the pumps higher and then the cyano slowed down. I removed most of it and it stopped coming back. Just some spots here and there. I think in summer the water is warmer which causes reduced O2 in the water which is one of the factors contributing to cyano.. A carbon source will only fuel cyano, you will need to dose bacteria to out compete the cyano

Recent Posts