Computer fans for cooling

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Rossreefer, 22 Jan 2014.

1. Rossreefer

Rossreefer

I set up 2 X Sunon 120mm Fans over my sump and connected to STC1000 fans are apparently 2900RPM.

They make absolutely no difference except water evap, is there more powerful 120mm fans that can be substituted.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Rossreefer

Rossreefer Thread Starter

Sorry RPM is 4500

4. cknipe

cknipe

It has more to do with the amount of water exposed to the moving air, as well as the amount of air that the fan moves (blades and the design of the blades are more important than RPM for example).

I run an industrial 220VAC Abmpapst (150x50). 40W unit running at 2800RPM. It moves close to 325m3/h (192cu.ft/min) of air. Normal 12V "PC fans" generally moves arround 24cu.ft/min.

The air flow rate of the fan is the most important thing IMHO. The down side, how more air it moves how louder it becomes. FYI, my fan runs at 49dBA under full load - not too noisy.

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

is the fans on your sump or display?

If sump, is the sump in a cabinet??

If cabinet, is there enough ventilation in and out of the cabinet?

6. King_Triton

King_Triton

I am using two pc fans on my hood. I have them blowing air into the hood, and the back is open. This makes a huge difference. It forces the heat from my lights out the back of the hood. So Riaan has a good point from what he asked. It depends a lot on air movement> you do need the hot air to escape somewhere.

7. Gary Roebuck

Gary Roebuck

dc fans are a great add.. by changing the polarity u can change direction (in most panel fans), so u can decide to blow or suck, as it were, depending on ambient. just watch out if the ambient is above the desired tank temp, u can create a 'temperature bar' and inadvertently heat the water further... the warmer water rises but due to higher temps above it stays in the water column....

8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I will rather use fans that blows from outside over the water, than sucking air from above the water.

Fans will run just that little bit drier. And should last longer.

I used 2 PC 12V fans with bearings from Communica with a small transformer. R65 each for fans, R35 for transformer. Drop temp on a 1000L plus system with just over 2 degrees. Amazing their effect. But my sump is open and RO usage is up.

[​IMG]

Recent Posts