Complete systems like Red Sea Max S etc

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Kanga, 15 Jun 2014.

1. Kanga

Kanga Retired Moderator MASA Contributor

Morning Good People:peroni:

This drpmant reef bug seems like it rearing its head again as it does every once in a while, sometimes I suppress it but this time A.N.G.R.Y is in on it, BUT......

She wants a complete neat unit, and honestly the time to do something from scratch would probably scratch this project.

Things to consider, neat leak free(yeah its a myth I know)
    no cables wires pipes top up drums etc standing around

maintenance not to hectic as I travel a lot and A.N.G.R.Y will have to do a lot of skimmer cleaner r/o filling etc

place for a real skimmer not some hang on back play play thing

DSB would be great

Proper lighting

A.N.G.R.Y saw the Red Sea Max S series and that seems to be where she is leaning, so here is my question, is it any good what problems does it have

What else is there top look at besides the red sea goodies??

Hey Old Man Viper killkanga

Last edited: 15 Jun 2014
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

I have seen the red sea max and as a plug and play unit it is great.
    @tekkengal can also have some great input here

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  4. Monti

Monti

Also innovative marine is an option

5. Ridwaan

Ridwaan

I personally dont like the whole plug and play jobbies...super expensive also...
    Thats just me..
    I would contact Idol Marine and get a super awesome system custom made...
    And you might even have change for some livestock...lol

6. tekkengal

tekkengal Moderator

Hi @Kanga

I can say that the RSM S series tanks will be something that will meet A.N.G.R.Y's requirements as hers were very similar to mine when getting a tank. It is neat as all the cabling and plumbing is hidden away in the cabinet and only one cord running to the wall socket.

The tanks stock equipment works well (skimmer takes a bit to understand but works well once dialed in).
    The stock lights support SPS and clams out the box. They are at this time only available in t5s but from what one Red Sea official says is that the LED solution will be available next year some time and will be available as a retrofit for the current tanks.
    Another big plus when I bought this tank was the built in ATO system, and is gravity fed. You will still need a way to fill it up so there will unfortunately be some drums involved.

The sump is not the same size as the tank however so while you can run a DSB, it would probably not be the most effective. You can also have a refugium running in the sump but you will need to buy a light for it as for some reason the have not included one there.

A chiller is a must for this system, luckily now you can delay the purchase of it until summer but don't neglect it, the tank runs really hot even though there is no hood on it.

The tanks are also available in different colours (blue, red, black, white, charcoal) which is nice for choice. The is a price difference though on the colours that are not black or white.

One thing that they don't emphasize is the there needs to be some clearance space behind the tank as well as on the sides (20cm from back of tank to wall if I remember correctly) because the ball valve leading to the sump is located at the back and you will need to adjust it when necessary.
    The ATO is located on the left hand side (your left when facing the tank) and ball valve is on the back right.

All in all, the stock tank works well, there will be some mods that you will want to make as you go on but for the most part you will not be removing parts but adding on to it (I am running both my Red Sea tanks with the original equipment and they are doing well).

Other tanks that you can compare to are the Aquaria brand (can keep softies and LPS out of the box)
    They are very deep tanks though but the smaller ranges all have sumps except for the nanos. These tanks are cheaper than the Red Sea series.

The other tank you can look at it is innovative series, they are more customizable than the smaller range Red Sea tanks (the c and d series). Not sure on the pricing of these though but they are also a tank worth looking into.

Hope this lengthy post helps! If you have any questions regarding the Red Sea tanks you can drop me a pm :)

viper357 and Kanga like this.
  7. Kanga

Kanga Thread Starter Retired Moderator MASA Contributor

Thanks, I see Urban Marines is the agents in CPT, but he just has the red sea max tanks in at 30k more than the price I got so far

Anyone have an idea of what they are like and cost

I hear you but I really want a plug and play system this time round, custom build could work but I want to see touch and feel what I am going to put in my lounge before I do

Price wise they aren't that bad, once you add all the effort driving around etc it the same price

Thanks for your detailed response, Okso a few mods will have to happen then you say:peroni:

8. Dian6430

Dian6430

Look at the Aquaria units as well. Very neat and great quality

9. Kanga

Thanks, do you perhaps have a link for me:thumbup:

10. Dian6430

Dian6430

Sure thing.
    Aquaria SA
    They busy with a new website so best is to contact Lawrence and he will help you. Great guy and they have a bigger selection of aquariums than on website.

11. D3m0n369

D3m0n369

Complete systems like Red Sex Max S etc

I have an Aquaria 1 meter. Great tank. Have no regrets buying it. Well one regret, i did not buy the 1,5 meter due to space constraints. It is a very deep tank so keep that in mind. Working on the bottom is not easy. Standing on a step laddar, my fingers can just touch the substrate. I did run into a issue setting the tank up. I have one of the older model tanks wich was supplied with the new version skimmer. The problem is that, out of the box, the skimmer does not fit into the sump. Not a big issue. Lawrence walked me through a mod on the skimmer to get it to fit and so far it works really well. Apparently this issue is resolved with the new range of tanks. Also the new tanks have got a built in tank controller. Neat. The tank comes with 4 39 watt t5 tubes. Three cool white and a blue bulb. Due to the depth if the tank, i feel that the light output of these t5 bulbs are inadequate for sps. I did change all four globes 2 weeks ago to ati globes and to say it was a huge improvement is an understatement. The sump has four compartments. Though not big, it is enough for all the equipment. There is also two lights in the sump area, one permanently on for the refugium and one activated by a door switch for some extra light. These are connected to an internal multiplug with one lead to a wall outlet and the lights also needs a dedicated wall plug. All in all, great build quality. Here are a few pics. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] The last pic is of the new range tanks.

Last edited: 15 Jun 2014
  12. Kanga

Thnaks sir Much appreciated

Thanks looks good, any idea of a rough price on the 1.5, i must say though i don't love the branding and silver strips, can they be taken off

So far the Red Sea Max 650 is looking the best but please keep giving me options

13. D3m0n369

D3m0n369

I agree that the styling of the tank wont be to everyones taste. Especially the black edging om the sides if the tank. I love it because i dont like the silicone seams. As for the branding and strips...no. The branding is cut into the plastic and filled with the silver coulor. I bought the tank because the styling fits in perfectly with my home decor. Last i checked the pricing was between 26k and 30k but i stand corrected. Have a look a the Aquaria thread here on MASA. Lawrence always run monthly specials. It does come in at a cheaper price point than the red sea max but if your pockets are deep enough to reach the red sea max, i would recomend that because for pure plug and play, they are hard to beat.

14. Dian6430

Dian6430

I know someone just bought the 1.5m aquaria with substrate and aquaria's new sintetic rock, sorry dont know how much, for around 33 or 35k. The red sea 650 is in 70k area i think.

15. Marcd50

Marcd50

I agree, I would go custom build

16. tekkengal

tekkengal Moderator

I got that model, will say great choice but then again I am biased :p

You can see how it was put together in my thread to give you an idea on size and setup:
    Tekk's RSM 650 (The Edition) - Marine Aquariums South Africa

17. Kanga

Thanks guys

Tekkengal, that tank is looking good

D3m0n369 that branding is just a bit to much for me, I don't even like branded t shirts :) and A.N.G.R.Y will remove vital bits if I don't follow her strict instructions to the letter killkanga

18. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Tekkengal is only slightly biased ... and correct. The Red Sea build quality is superb and the whole system is very well designed and easy to use.
    As a bonus ANGRY will be able to choose the colour of the cabanit.

19. Snoek

Snoek

The only issue with the Aquaria is that the std equipment excluding the skimmer will need to be changed if you want to keep an sps dominant tank. I owed a 1m Aquaria and very qiuckly added other lights. Imo I would go red sea as its the better plug and play unit

Last edited: 16 Jun 2014
  20. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Greetings old chap. Are you still emptying the breweries of their Peroni stocks?

21. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Idol tanks are very hands on and plug and play too. You're not limited to what equipment you need and if going full sps you might need a carx which will be difficult to install inside the limited space in the sump area. Also, your cabinetry is custom made with any colour of veneered wood.
    RSM tanks are great and pretty but can be limiting.

Recent Posts