Complete beginner

Discussion in 'New Members' started by philiplouw, 23 Sep 2009.

1. philiplouw

philiplouw

Hi all,
    I am a complete newby to this great hobbie and I am cuurently just researching in order to know exactly what to do when I do start actually putting water in a tank!

I am a lover of the sea and of anything living in it...I spend any time I can in Mosam and much of that time either in, under or on the water!

The main reason why I am currently just researching is because I know that I will be moving houses next year and very possibly at the end of next year again as I am just starting a new job and getting settled in Johannesburg. (some advice on moving tanks will obviously be needed....if it is even possible!)

I need some help on stores, clubs, people who would be willing and able to assist me with gathering info and even sourcing equipment and fish etc. in and around Johannesburg. So any advice there will be appreciated.

I'm glad I found this site as it seems that this is where I will get some valuable info.

Happy days!!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Ghaydeen

Ghaydeen

Hi and Welcome.

Where in JHb are you moving to..

4. Sentari

Sentari

Hi Phillip!

Welcome to MASA.

Read around on the thread and get a feel of what the whole marine hobby is about. Ask as many questions as you can. Even if you think they stupid questions. They not!!!

Where abouts are you moving to in Joburg? If you have a chance come join us at our monthly meeting we are having. They very informative and the people can give you great ideas also. Nice to see how things run and the different methods people use.

Just remember one thing this hobby also takes alot of patience and commitment... also alot of money. So budget for everything and look around.

I went the way of getting a 2nd hand tank. Its a good idea BUT if you dont know what you getting yourself into you'll never know what to look for in a setup. Getting someone to build it for you is a good idea.

So lets hear your ideas?!?!? :)

5. Tony

Tony

Hello and welcome Philip.

6. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Hi Philip, welcome to MASA - glad you joined and hope you like it here. You can begin your research by reading the link in my signature for some info on how to start your first marine tank - very helpfull :thumbup:

Keep us updated on your progress ;)

:wave2:

7. philiplouw

philiplouw Thread Starter

I am in morningside and will probably move to sunninghill in Feb next year for atleast 12 months or so.

8. philiplouw

I want to get a decent sized tank as I know that this is something that I will enjoy...
    My sister has a tank in London and I am always jealous of her..

I am keen to have my own tank built but if I am able to pick something up second handed that I like and fits in with my plans I will definitely consider that.

My initial plans is to get something that a novice will be able to manage but also not something that I will outgrow within the first year. I want to be able to expand into all the different fish, corals, shrimps, crabs....you know...have a living reef in my house.

Just a story....my sister in London recently bought a lionfish....she told me last night that it had eaten 15 live shrimp and it's belly was bulging quite seriously.
    If there is something I should warn her against then please let me know...

Thanks for the warm welcome

9. FransSny

FransSny

Welcome phillip.

Just a word of caution on Lionfish...they overfeed easily leading to lots of problems. I used to feed mine every seciond day on chopped marinara mix.

If you mean live shrimp, do you mean shrimp in the DT , brine ?

10. philiplouw

Thanks for the advice...I will pass it on.
    Not sure what DT is or means...think she bought some live shrimp that were placed in the tank for him to feed on. Probably not a good idea to have 15 in there then.

11. magman

magman

Howzit Phil, I think you are making the correct start buy researching on the forum first, I did not have the forum when I started, and since joining have made all the changes as to what the forum recommends.

I am still pretty much a newb in the hobby, there is some guru's on here, so the the only advice I should offer is what not to do, my mistakes.

Your substrate, go as fine as possible, like reggies playsand, or argonite. Don't use crushed coral or coral chips. It traps the detrus.

When you buy your equipment, buy quality, not price. I had a 4 foot tank, and upgraded to a 6 foot 4 months ago, all hardware I had to buy new so ended up going cheap to buy all equipment at once. I bought a cheap skimmer, and regret it, I should of waited a month, and bought a better skimmer the next month end.

the sump, I had a sump with only LR in, and 6 weeks ago converted to a DSB.

Don't be shy to ask, the guys on here are really helpful, and you must have patience.

12. Sentari

Sentari

DT - Display Tank.

I sent you a PM Phillip.

Some people have great success with Lionfish.

13. philiplouw

Thanks...my philosophy has always been that buying cheap will just mean buying again. So that is why I want to know and see as much as possible before jumping in here.

It is difficult to get a good grip of these things through pictures and posts so I will definitely try and get to a club meeting or something sooner rather than later to see some working tanks and then ask questions.

14. Sentari

Sentari

:thumbup:

Could have said it better myself. Thats the best way to learn and the guys here will tell you that.

15. magman

magman

Seeing other setups working as well will help you learn

16. lIghty

lIghty

Welcome.

I happy to see someone wanting to learn before jumping into something they don't know, Good on you.

First thing I have to say, Moving can be done, but after you've done it once you'll know it no fun, especially if you have a good size tank. Perhaps use this time to learn and put aside some money for the equipment needed for a decent system.

Cost is related to the size of the tank, a bigger tank will required bigger (Higher Rated) equipment, which unfortunately costs a bit more.

The first thing you need to decide is you tank size and your budget, often most people opt to start with a small system, the 2 problems with that is: 1- its generally easier to keep a larger system than a smaller one, this is due to the water volume, if 1 fish dies in a large tank you could probably get away with it, but if 1 dies in a small tank, the water can turn very quickly. 2- most time its only a few months into the hobbie before you find yourself needing to "upgrade" rendering some equipment "too small".

Just browse around and ask questions, Thats why we here!

17. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Welcome to MASA...

18. Annoying

Annoying

Welcome!!!!:thumbup:

19. crispin

crispin

hello there phillip:)

great to have you on masa (invite your sister on to, so that we can share in her lion fish tank, i am sure we can help her a little too :))

researching a tank is a great idea and gettinga decent sized tank is advisable in my view. yes the equipment costs slightly more, but buy right and carefully and a decent 1.8m tank can work out cheaper than most 250l set ups. Its what i did and I never regretted it for a moment.

welcome to masa and happy postings:)

20. philiplouw

Is it possible to have a lionfish and still keep smaller species in the same tank?

21. Sentari

Sentari

Depends on if the lionfish is hungry or not....

Ive heard various stories where it is possible. But would you really like you nice expensive fish to be eaten by the lionfish. I personally wouldnt chance it.

Recent Posts