compatable clowns

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by magman, 1 Oct 2009.

1. magman

magman

Which clowns are comapitable with each other, I know the best is to start off with the softer species like the oscerlaris, let them adapt and then look towards others, I am a bit nervous about adding other species, I already have oscerlaris, but what should I look at if I want to add another species next.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. FransSny

FransSny

magman if i remember correctly you have a large, well scaped setup. The main thing to remember is that they need to establish their own territories.

I kept my skunks in the same tank as tomato clowns. Right from the start each took to one end of my 1,5 mtr

4. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

As a general rule they are very territorial and agressive to their own and other species, the main ones to avoid would be the tomato and clarkii sp, other than that, introduce only very young pairs at the same time, even then i don't see it ending up well.

5. magman

magman Thread Starter

Frans, I did have a pair of clarkiis, along with the oscerlaris, but when anenomes were eventually introduced, all hell broke loose, I sumped the clarkiis for 2 weeks, re itroduced them, but then they carried on with aggro, I eventually got rid of the clarkkis. The osecrlaris are settled in an anemone, I have three in the one anenome, they do nip when I put my hand in to feed the nems, also the domino's change anenomes every night.

6. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

in my experince this is simply hit and miss .... and comes down to the individual character of not only the fish but the character of the pairs. Clowns will invariable pair off (and will prob kill the 3rd wheel you have in your tank at the moment) when they start laying eggs, their territorial instincts will likely kick in and the two pairs will be at each others throats.....

that being said I have seen a pair of clarki's, a single tomato and a single HUGE maroon in a 1.5m with the clarki's breeding ...... It can be done but there is no fail safe formula to do it.

Recent Posts