commercial filtration systems pics wanted

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers, Mechanical Filtration' started by leslie hempel, 24 Jun 2010.

1. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

guys i am looking for engine room pics of commercial fish /coral holding facilities, so far i like the system that TMC has to offer and i have actually seen one in action but i was wondering what else could be dug up as reference..

interested to see whats out there..

any help will be appreciated...

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Thread Starter Moderator MASA Contributor

now dont all try help me out at once now!!!

4. FransSny

FransSny

How big is the budget ! RK2 Systems :thumbup::thumbup:

5. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

Boegie

Boegie had a thread the other day where i saw some pics of the protein skimmers and things they had at ushaka aquarium, see if you can track down that thread if its the type of thing you are looking for:thumbup:

6. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

:lol:

Are you looking for sort of pet shop systems or bigger like full blown fish farms/holding facilities?

7. leslie hempel

more like petshops but any ideas will do.. i have a project on my hands where i have been asked for my input and im a little stumped.. we always have these great ideas untill we are put on the spot :)

8. crispin

crispin

its a short drive to that fish farm i told you about before, you really should go see it....

9. leslie hempel

i know i really must get there...:)

10. leslie hempel

ok i have found something will post pics for unterests sake when i get a chance....

11. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

interesting !!

12. herkie

herkie R.I.P.

I think Andrew(Millepora) is your man Les.I believe he is the person with the most knowledge of just about anything in this hobby.

13. FransSny

FransSny

Les , please post what youve found...I have also been wondering what would be the "ultimate" filtration system ? Sometiems I think we take a "shotgun" type approach.....

Without Hijacking your thread (please move my comment if I am doing so) , what would be the ultimate filtration system ???

14. leslie hempel

its not so much about the ultimate but more about practical to the point and system recovery time from power outages and massive loads when shipmenmts arrive..

i have looked at quite a few systems and read a few related facts on large system filtration (by calfo) and have decided to go with a TMC type style approach on mechanical but will probably ommit the uv/fluidised bed parts and add a central DSB/Chaeto/LR system with an auto Brineshrimp feeding system.. i will add banks of tanks on to this in time untill a 5000lt capacity (determined by skimmer) is reached per module, remember these systems will only be loaded and the load drastically reduced as sales are made easing the pressure on the filter..

Trickle filtration is simple but effective in re-oxygentaing the water as well as quick removal of ammonia and nitrite... bacteria formed in the trickle filtration does not compete for the available dissolved oxygen in the water and serves to regass the water as well as handle power outages better as long as the bioballs/media remain moist..

this will be for the fish facilities only..

disease controll will be in the form of vitimins added to the food.. and generously at that..

more thoughts as i develp them

and thanks for the heads up.. its always difficult to design something when you are on the spot..

15. Hill

Hill

What about a fluidised bed filter for the fish only systems. Way more efficient than trickle filters. They are excellent where growing and declining bacteria populations are the norm

16. leslie hempel

hey rowan, the problem is that they compete with the fish for the disolved oxygen, white i wont rule using one out, its because of that fact that the trickle tower wins its argument..

remember that these fish will only be help for a relitivley short time and a little nitrate isnt too harmful although obviously a nil value would be optimal.. if i remember what i tested daily at the LFS i worked at you would be shocked to see some of the values we had creatures living in.. sadly i dont think much has changed there...

Recent Posts