Comments on my sump design...

Reaction score
Looks good, but I would take the "top sump's" return to the display tank, and not to the bottom sump, as shown.

Also, depending of course on the actual skimmer, you might not need such a large skimmer compartment - if possible, rather increase the size of the refugium.

Hennie

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Yes - Hennie's got it on the head again - as usual ;-)

The "pods" should be growing in the refugium, and they and their offspring (eggs/larvae, etc) should be supplying food to the corals...
Otherwise - 100%

Reaction score
Skimmer is a Reeftek TS4, if I have a return in the top sump then how do I get water to the bottom sump?

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hi SIMS -

You can have the original over-flow let the water flow down into the bottom sump.
Then one pump to pump the water from the bottom sump to the top sump.
Then gravity flow from the top sump to the tank....

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
OK - perhaps another idea:
redesign it as follows:
- put the skimmer in the bottom sump, with BOTH the DSB as well as the refugium in the top sump...
- you can have "chemical filtration" in the compartments after the skimmer.

BTW: TS4 is a REALLY decent skimmer SIMS! Congrats!

Rory

Admin
Reaction score
I would put it refugium first, then DSB, then skimmer, then chemical filtration. The reason being that the area with the highest nutrients should be the refugium for the things in there to feed off etc. Then the dsb works more effectively with more concentrated nitrate,then skimmer to remove whatever and chemical filtration after the skimmer so water should be pretty clean already.

If you split the overflow and have 2 returns you can have different flow rates through each of the 2 sumps. Fairly slow for the dsb/refugium and whatevers optimal for the skimmer.