Colt Coral Shrinking

Reaction score
I have a colt coral thats been steadily shrinking over the last few weeks. In addition my leathers wont open completely. I can't for the life of me figure out why.

Parameters: - PO4 = 0.8mg/l, Nitrite = 0, Nitrate = 50mg/l, Calcium = 400ppm, PH = 8.5, Salnity = 1,023, Temp = 26.5. Did a 20% water change 5 days ago.

The only major additioins to my system has been a surge device + an algea scrubber which is two weeks into its cycle and developing algea growth very nicely.

I dose Stontium, Calcium, Iodine, Magnesium, Molybdenum and Trace religiously once a week as per the recommended dose for my 750l. My other corals like hammers, mushrooms, galaxy, organ pipes, bubble and even another two colts are all thriving.

Any ideas ?
139249561200da25c.jpg
13924956120dd8e21.jpg

Thanks Shaun - I have an LFS around the corner from me that closes at 4pm. Save a noob some time and guide me quickly if you don't mind. I know I should read through the form 1st. I was always under the impression that PH is a measure of Acid or Alkalinity (probably very noob of me). Clealy i'm an idiot so.. What test kit should I buy. I looked for a Alkalinity specifc kit but had no luck. THey have broad range PH test kits and KH test kits. which one should i buy to test for alkalinity ?

OK - Thanks for the quick reply - Really appreciated since I know I should read through the forum 1st. I'm on my way to the LFS to buy the KH test kit. I will also buy a new broad range PH test kit since my current one is 2 years old. I also intend buying Seachem Reef Carbonate just incase. I will test and feed back.

It will probably be a good idea to get a calcium test kit as well, as alkalinity and calcium work hand in hand.

Test Kits

I have no idea how I ever attempted to keep marines over the last 10 years without being a member of this forum. You guys are the shizit:thumbup:.

Rushed to the LFS bought and used the new test kits (R268 ouch!) and whala - PH = 7.5, KH = 7. Now I will read through the links yu guys provided to see what I need to do to get things within acceptable ranges, unless you okes are feeling very giving (xmas and all) and want to give me a quick remedey.

I tossed my old PH test kit so far over the wall that it smashed into pieces:(
13924956257b16be6.jpg

Added Seachem Reef Carbonate

Hi Shaun - I read as much as i could on the links provided for about an hour or so. Now I feel like I have a PHD in Microbiology, Chemistry or something. Anyway I added the manufacturer recomend dose of Seachem Reef Carbonate to try and get my KH up to 8 over about two weeks. Calcium is at 400ppm so hopefully this addition wont hurt it too much. PH at 7.5 does feel a bit low but i'm hoping that by correcting the KH over time the Ph will climb. I'm not doing anything too drastic just yet.

Me thinks I SPEAK CHEMISTRY NOW:p

Do you think the shrinking colts and unopen leathers can recover ??

amalick, what about your new surge device? i see no-one has touched on this. From the pics of it in action shows its pretty fierce, a lot of bubbles come through, maybe its too large a dump of water, what do you think? did you increase the volume of the dump? i think it might be the increase in flow at them suddenly that they dont like, my leathers like a bit of high flow everynow and again but i think a big dump that hits them as well as a blast of air might be adding to it. You might want to check it out cause your levels arent that out of whack

Yup - I did double the size of the dump from 20l to 40l. In addition the outlet icreased from 25mm to 40mm so its much much more force. Strangely though its doesn't dump directly over the leathers so doubt that its that. It does howver dump very close to the colt which actually sways very much during the dump. Maybe I should move the colt to a less volitile ("spelling ??") spot.

Back
Top Bottom