Collecting site

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Reggie, 20 Sep 2009.

1. Reggie

Reggie

Hi to All and thanks for the welcome, Mike.

I love butterfly fish. Tragically I lost my entire collection a few months ago when I introduced a swop-out from a friend in Still Bay.
    Anyway - I love collecting: it's fun! I've been to Durban in July (Park Rainie and The Bluff). At Park Rainie - amongst all the many other fish - we have only spotted one!!! Butterfly (Ch. Lunula - not caught!). The next day we moved on to The Bluff: lots of Butterflies but impossible to catch (we were three) in the "holes" we found in the flat rock formations.
    I would like to go to Durban again later this month. Can anybody direct me to suitable collecting spot/s (easy to reach - snorkeling, only able to spend 2 days, and guaranteed with Butterflies) ?

Thanks a lot.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

A VERY WARM WELCOME to MASA, Reggie. Great to have you on-board!

Firstly, there are not that many of the MASA members that can access this Private Help forum. I would rather suggest that I move it for you to the "General" forum.

Please let me know if I can do this for you?

4. Reggie

Reggie Thread Starter

Sure, i would appreciate the help.

Reggie

5. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

OK - I moved the thread to the "Beginner's discussion" in the "General forum".... good luck.

6. chikaboo

chikaboo

Just North of Durban - Umhlanga and umdloti - Ballito - oh wheres my manners - Welcome to MASA - Enjoy your stay here and hope to see more of your posts - when are you expected down in Durbs?

7. Reggie

Reggie Thread Starter

Collecting site detail?

Thanks a lot for the lead. Care to give some indication of type of aqua terrain? Rock pools, tidal pools, etc.? spring tide relative?

I need to work around some work-related issues first to free up time, so I cannot say exactly when - but it will be around the end of this month or early next month.
    i will know in about a week's time.

8. chikaboo

chikaboo

mostly rock pools - almost always seen threadfin and racoon butterflies - tons of morray eels - ballito and thomsons bay - 5 minz apart and about 20 mins north of Durbs have tidal pools - lions and wrasses even seen wierd puffers - not really spring tide dependant but when it is then sometimes a lucky packet - sometimes nothing sometimes plentifull

9. FransSny

FransSny

Sheffield beach has some awesome rockpools, I've had best luck at the lowest tide

10. Reggie

Reggie Thread Starter

Collecting site - Sheffield Beach

Thanks for your lead FransSny. Is Sheffield Beach in the same environs? When I checked for accommodation on the net, I read on one of the sites that the area is a Conservancy. How does this affect collecting?

11. FransSny

FransSny

Hi Reggie, Sheffield is just outside Balito and we have never had any issues wrt collecting. Just make sure your permit is in place

12. Reggie

Reggie Thread Starter

Thanks for clearing that up guys. Now I just have to get over the work issue.:thumbup:

Recent Posts