Collecting NSW for trade..?

Discussion in 'Diving, Collecting and Environmental Discussions' started by Raven, 22 Mar 2008.

1. Raven

Raven

Hi guys,
    I'm not sure if this is the correct forum, so mods please move it if it's not.

I'm in Vereeniging, and want to get my hands on NSW, but it will be extremely expensive to drive down to the cost to get some water for myself...
    So i thought if i could drive down, and bring water back for my self and other members so that we could split the cost it will be a bit better.
    If one can do this at least once or twice a month.

Now my questions are:
    1. Is there any law that states that one can't collect NSW and sell it ?
    2. Will any members be interested in NSW (in the Gauteng area)
    3. must one obtain any lisences for something like this?
    4. Where is the best place to collect water, which will be safe for our use?
    5. Is someone maybe doing something like this allready?

Thanks guys!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. herkie

herkie R.I.P.

Our local LFS asked me to collect water and because I go to this special rocky beach we have in our area every fothnight I agreed. When I was about to leave the first time he went quiet. I did not want to make big waves because we all live in this smallish community and need eachother.

Well I will now be doing this on my own in a months time.

The difference I see is that we are 100 km from this magic beach with the best pure water you can want and you are far away.

4. herkie

herkie R.I.P.

I am quite sure these is no restriction on nsw collection because I collect within a marine reserve and have to liase with parks board officials every time.(They do have powerfull binocs on you from behind the bush all the time though.)

5. Punk

Punk

hi there, is it really worth your while?

a 25kg box of Rio salt costs R420 and makes about 640l @ SG of 1.025

so salt mix costs about 65c per litre

not sure about the cost of making RO water but let's assume it also costs 65c per litre (how much does LFS charge for RO?)

so in total it's about R1.30 per litre made

petrol and toll gates down to durbs and back is probably about R1200, maybe more now with the increased prices?

if you can handle 2 x 1000l containers, driving up NSW works out to at least 60c per litre

so it could be cheaper but NSW has it's cons:
    - pollution, you'd be shocked to see what get's dumped into the ocean (just check the latest durban harbour disaster), except if you can collect deep
    - you have to QT and skim the water for a period to get rid of all the organisms that died off since being removed from the ocean
    - your personal time driving down just to go fetch water can also be equated into cash (huge load like this the trip would take at least 8 hours each way)

IMHO it's better to use salt mix, you know exactly what goes in & it's extremely convenient & not as expensive as it looks like...

some guys at the coast actually converted to using salt mix...

cheers,
    ant
    :)

Last edited: 23 Mar 2008
  6. djmurray

djmurray Email me about anything

most LFS are from R 1+ for RO i would say go for it if you have massive containers to pump the water to and if you can collect it deep its better but still skimmer Quarnting(spelling:)) is such a mission

7. djmurray

djmurray Email me about anything

sorry punk but would you pls let me know where you get 25kg of salt for R420 im in need at the mo...Thanks

8. Punk

Punk

it's actually on special now at dorry pets @ R380 per 25kg box (i bought 2 boxes when i saw this :lol:): Dorry Pets - Specials

but i'm not sure if the special is now over or not?

9. seank

seank

If you are interested, I get some of my water from a friend of mine on a weekly basis. He collects the water about 20km offshore (very very deep) and you'll not find cleaner/healthier water anywhere off the beach as clean and as pure as the ones he collects. He is doing it for a Pharmacutical (spelling) Company in Joburg on a weekly basis. Normally he collects between 10 000 to 17 000lt. He gets paid 80cents per liter.

The company gets here and he just pumps the water directly from his boat (in containers) to their containers. No hassles, no sweat, no fuss for the Joburg Company.

So if you interested, let me know and I'll speak to him

10. Raven

Raven Thread Starter

Cool Thanks - i'll keep it in mind!
    i would have thought that the fona and flura guys would have issues when we collect large amounts of water from the ocean...

Recent Posts