Collecting from George

Discussion in 'Diving, Collecting and Environmental Discussions' started by Ari, 4 Jul 2011.

1. Ari

Ari

Hi guys I'm on holiday in George this week. And I got a couple of hermits last week is it very important to provide shells? I don't want death so will it be fine to take some shells from george and put it in my tank. Has anyone done this, Im just scared it will bring parasites:( Is there a process before putting them in? Thanx in advance:thumbup:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Meneer

Meneer

Cooking in the Pressure cooker for 20 minutes should kill of everything.

Yes, they do need bigger shells as they grow.
    When I added shells, both of mine went for the bigger shells within an hour....

4. Steve Warren

Steve Warren

They need shells or they will fight for them, it is most likely that your hermits are the ones that have the bigger pincers and spend most of their time on the sand, the ones further east such as the Yellow banded and Blue Eyed would have been better as far as algae control.
    Cushion stars, neritas and possibly shrimps would also have been invertebrates to consider collecting.
    Sorry just realised you already had hermits. I would just use the shells from higher up on the beach and would doubt that they would carry parasites.

Last edited: 4 Jul 2011
  5. Ari

Ari Thread Starter

steve, do you mean the dryer shells the better? thanx guys:)

6. Evo R

Evo R

It doesnt matter if you take dry or wet schells, i would strongly recomend that you cook it. Just to be sure!!

7. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

ill second that. you wont lose any good on the shell if you cook it and youll have a parasite free shell. just to be sure:thumbup:

8. Ari

Ari Thread Starter

Thanx guys!;)

Recent Posts