Collecting/Catching fish Sodwana and Alawal

Discussion in 'Diving, Collecting and Environmental Discussions' started by Nemos Janitor, 1 Sep 2010.

1. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Yes these reefs /sites are so called protected reserves, Exactly what is protected? And what can be caught/collected and what cannot?

Lets look at the permit that confuses. "Annual Recreational Fishing Permit" from the department of environmental affairs.

Now let take a look at the permit. There are a number of options one can choose, from including Angling to mud crab and Mollusc's collection.

1) You require a Angling version of this permit to fish at Sodwana. There are fishermen up and down the coast line and fishing boats fishing off the reef.

2) Spear fishermen are active in the area. There is also a version of this permit.

3)Scuba diving, One requires a version of this same permit to dive the reefs of Sodwana and Alawal.

4) Marine aquarium fish, This is also an option on this same permit. Which allows one to collect 10 Aquatic Plants and 10 Aquarium fish per day. "NOT FOR RESALE"

Now one is permitted (has to have the above same permit)to fish, spear hunt and dive the reefs.

My question is. Where can i find legislation that excludes the permit to collect fish in these areas? Is it not the "Dive operators" that so call protect the (Their) reefs preaching false legislation??? Can some one post a link maybe please.

How do the guys from Shaka and two oceans get permits?

Does anyone KNOW for sure?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Annoying

Annoying

I have no idea on how the permitting works in SA just a few months back I caught a lot of fish at Sodwana. Just to make sure, I called the local nature reserve and they told me that I can catch fish in the rockpools as long as I have a permit and don't venture in the protected area. I'm thinking that the permit just doesn't apply for protected areas like the st Lucia reserve.

4. magman

magman

Guys at Ushaka have special permits, if you harm a brindle while catching it with a rod, did you know it's 10 years or R10 000 000. Ushaka has plenty of them, on their permits they can do what they want, they can catch what they want, when they want, how they want. They even got permits to buy the chemicals they use to catch the fish. Basically no rules apply to them that applies to us.

Re the fisherman, you can fish and spearfish the areas at sodwana, but you can only catch/shoot the pelagic species, eg. gamefish like marlin, sailfish, couta, shad garrick etc, as they are nomadic and travel seasonly. You touch anything else, with a kiddies net even, they will take your car away, they will fine you thousands, you will not get your car back till all is paid, and more than likely your fine will be decided by a judge in court, only after that has paid will you get your car back. The parks board at sodwana is very very strict.

Same applies at vidal, exceptwhere the sanctuary ends about 1km south of the car park, there you can do what you want, the only problem is you are not allowed to walk back into the sanctuary with anything you have caught, and Mission rocks is a 20k walk south.

5. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor Thread Starter

Thanks bud. So where do i find this legislation? My permit has no reference to what you say.

6. magman

magman

All the local KZN offices have all the regulations etc, they have millions of phamephlets and maps for where and what your permit allows you to do. I actually thought that at the Vidal Beacon, it is illegal to touch anything north to the Moz border, but Annoying's post says otherwise. I would not chance it, I have seen the parkies there (they all Isimalingiso wildlife from Stlucia North to the border) and they don't play, coming out the St Lucia gate they stopped a family because they had a bucket with stuff inside, I don't know if it was corals or what, but I felt sorry for them.

Some of my mates say when they dive Vidal,l they make a point of telling the parkies they going south past the beacon, and coming back later, but everytime I have tried, they say don't come back, in the end it's all just not worth the hassle to me. I think at Vidal, they just to lazy to escourt you out and to watch you than to let you go.

7. Nemos Janitor

Yup this is my argument, not with you, but. My permit states nothing, nor indicates what you say.

So if i catch a damsel at sodwana and and have a permit the PB guys will no doubt catch me and charge me with what charge?

Where does a SA citizen find the "do nots". I for one think i have a legitimate permit to collect in Sodwana. Well my Marine Aquarium Fish permit is on the same permit i have to have to dive Sodwana. Confused???

8. magman

magman

Best bet is when you come up, make sure you can get to KZN wildlife office, and get the info you need. I would not even try and collect aiptasia north of the beacon at vidal. Excuses I am sure will not work, because I am sure they have heard them all.

9. magman

magman

There you confused me, what permit to collect at sodies?

10. magman

magman

I think I see what you mean, when you buy a permit, you can list on the one permit what all you want to catch, do you mean the boxes below where your name is? That does not mean you can dive at Sodwana, and then cause you can dive there you can also catch fish.

I think I best start tagging here, cause from what I was aware, basically the whole area that Isimalingiso wild life management control, all was tabboo except gamefish.

11. Nemos Janitor

TNX for the input. Was there last week end and could not get clarification. Just looking for facts and the laws which seem unobtainable. As an exercise, next time you in a PB office ask what i ask and watch the blank faces, and sudden urge to be busy with something else. They do not know.

12. magman

magman

You guys are playing with fire there, even guys boats are searched for vertical jigs since the vertical jigs were banned, just because they can hook reef species with them.

13. magman

magman

I have been trying the local parkies, Ezivimilo wildlife to give me something to say I can harvest LR in writing, but they wont, yet they all say it's fine to harvest.

14. Nemos Janitor

:) He..He when we dive it is mostly from the coral divers zodiacs. No chance of any collection because of what you say. However i am not about to fish out the reefs nor destroy the biodiversity by every week collecting. Just the odd frag here and there. OK a gem or two may tempt.:)

15. magman

magman

You brave, to me a frag is not worth the anti climax, maybe a tiger angel, but that's my price

16. richardmatlock

richardmatlock

Or you could just head off into Moz and make friends with the border guards.

17. Steve Warren

Steve Warren

18. Nemos Janitor

@Steve Warren, thanks for the input. Are you guys allowed to collect from reserves?

My thinking is that most public aquariums collect for their displays rather than full research of the species. This is understandable as feet help in institutions viability. It would require a huge capital funding to research all species collected and you guys do not have that luxury.

This brings me to the issue of collecting fish/corals by simply paying a R79.00 fee. No questions are asked on collected species sustainability or the collectors competence/resources and facilities to ensure minimum fatalities.

IMO these permits as presently administered are a death threat to species collected.

However there are many competent reefers/collectors out there that contribute vast amounts of knowledge, research and information on marine reef keeping, that perhaps a permit similar to the one you guys get may help in the research area reducing costs and empowering knowledge.

19. Steve Warren

Steve Warren

Not normally from reserves, specific separate permits would have to be applied for, especially if the reserve is managed by a separate authority such as SANParks. Specific restrictions would also be applied by that authority, if it is granted.
    The restrictions may also be restrictive as far as the purpose of the collection, such as for a specific research project only or restrictions on who may take part in the collections and the methods used. Permits may also be denied, for instance in the past I have had requests denied to collect seahorses in a specific area.
    The permits will vary between institutions in some instances with specific variations that may have been requested, usually to accomodate regional variations in displays according to the marine life in the institutions region.
    The institutions also work with each other, which also reduces the needs of an institution to undertake unnecessary collecting.

I think the general R79.00 permits are a better system for the general public. If the restrictions are complied with such as no more than 10 fish per day, no more than 5 of a species, no collecting of hard corals, etc. If you consider that many permit holders only collect on weekends and holidays, weather permitting, limited collecting abilities of many, ethics of many of those with more experience and also regional availability of species.
    Those that abuse collecting would either abuse with or without a permit anyway or are possibly poaching and the permit is of no consequence to their activities anyway, apart from maybe being used as a smokescreen for their activities. Policing of those that poach and sell to shops would be better policed by clamping down on the buying shops to make it unprofitable or by hobbyists naming, shaming and blacklisting those shops.

Last edited: 3 Sep 2010
  20. Nemos Janitor

Thank you Steve. It is heartening to hear how you guys operate. I would love to be part of an expedition as an observer one day. :)

21. richardmatlock

richardmatlock

You have to also remember that the research required for an accurate aquarist permit system for SA if absolutely massive. Each individual species' ranges/populations/spawning periods/sexual maturity/... needs to be identified before a model can be put into place to determine "how many/what sizes/where/etc." can be collected for each species that we are interested in. Its easier (to start with) to just give broad criteria w.r.t. "how many/what sizes/where/etc.". Still better (ecologically speaking) than no permits/control at all...

Recent Posts