Coincidence or what?

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Keanan, 7 Feb 2012.

1. Keanan

Keanan 2time

On Saturday I got 6 new fish(3 goldies, leopard wrasse, small clown tang and a midas blenny) in place of my 4 big fish(regal tang, tennenti tang and 2 huge orange line chromis).... So last night I went and checked on the tank before lights out and noticed my little clown tang had WS(he was eating nicely for the past 2 days) so told myself what the heck I still have some microblift herbtana and might as well use it as an immune booster. As per instructions I added the herbtana and my skimmer started to overflow right away, so switched it off(not a fan of leaving the skimmer off for long periods or any for that matter and planned to turn it back on this morning)...

Well this morning came and my mom checked on my tank and asked me whats wrong with the 1 goldie, its just laying on the sand. So I jumped up from the couch to see whats wrong and the fish is dead, pretty bummed out about it and so was she.:(
    Upon further inspection I see that the little clown tang was also dead :eek: **** that was my moms fish because I made away with her dorry. Now to get them out asap but before I could do that I saw that another goldie was dead.:cursing::censored: Ok so now i'm pissed off and sad that 3 of the fish are dead and I cant find the other goldie, the midas blenny or the leopard wrasse(despite that he was harassed like hell by the 6 line and buried himself in the sand.)

**** i dont want to see my moms face or hear what she has to say when she gets home.

Is this a coincidence or what?

Maybe I just got a bad batch of herbtana but it isn't working for me, the first time I used it it just made matters worse and now when I decide to give it a shot again I find my new fish dead.:(

I dont know what my parameters are, the only test kits I have are ammonia, PH and KH. Checked those on Friday or Saturday last.
    Ammonia was undetectable.
    PH was 8.0
    KH was 8
    Dont have NO3, when I wanted to buy one the LFS didnt have.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. rakabos

rakabos

Sorry to hear about the losses!

I do however think you have no idea what Herbtana is or what it does. It is simply an immune booster which is supposed to be left in the tank, with no skimmer for at least ten days.

So Herbtana was never going to cure the fish. I also dont think it could have made matters worse. The parasites that cause WS are not to be messed with. If you have it in your tank as a result of introducing an infected fish then you are screwed if you dont take action to combat the WS, and Herbtana is not going to make it go away.

4. Keanan

Keanan Thread Starter 2time

Its time like this that makes one want to give up. Just found the other goldie, was the smallest and most active of the three and also ate much more than what the other 2 did.:(

5. rakabos

rakabos

Sorry dude! :(

6. Keanan

I know what herbtana is, well anyone that can read should know that it is not a cure for WS but an immune booster. And thats what I used it for, thought it might help boost the immune system of the clown tang. My skimmer was off through the night. The clown tang was the only one that was showing symptoms of WS and the 3 goldies where all fine yesterday.

The first time I used herbtana, I did the 10 day skimmer off treatment like the bottle says and it just made things worse in my tank. Like I said maybe I got a bad batch.

7. rakabos

rakabos

Bad batch, its possible i suppose. But the WS in the tank explodes when you add new fish which could be stressed from transport. So if you had it before then its very likely it was just in low numbers in the tank and when you added new fish they had the chance to explode again.

Are there any fish left? Can you qt them and leave the tank without fish for a month or so?

8. Keanan

As soon as I can collect water at 2oceans I will do a +- 50% WC.

9. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

As i said u need to QT new fish and treat the tank, There is NO in tank cure for white spot in the entire world.
    I am burning to buy some new fish but will not as my QT tank is not setup

10. rakabos

rakabos

That should be made a sticky

11. Keanan

Unfortunately I cant, I dont have a qt. No space for one but must make a plan soon.

All my other(old) fish are fine. I can understand that the clown tang could have died of the WS (he was still small and his immune system probably could fight it) but the goldies too? Especially the smallest of the 3, he was fine last night, eating red plankton and a flake or 2.
    I still cant find the leopard wrasse and the midas blenney and he hangs out right in front in the tank.

12. Nur

Nur Starz

aweh, sorry for the losses. them fish was looking lekker healthy!
    doubt it could be a bad batch though, im sure @henk hugo will advise.
    i too didnt have much luck with herbitana, i found that 10% WC daily was
    more effective, but the product does work, there has been many success
    stories shared on the forum.

just a reminder that when doing a big water change then get the fresh water
    as close to the tank temp as possible, else you gona shock the survivors.

good luck with the rescue mission,

cheers

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  13. Keanan

The thing is that I dont have space for one but will have to make a plan soon.

14. Braco

Braco

Sorry for your loss dude...WS can be a real killer i lost a few fish to it as well...agree with @Starz daily water changes is the way to go safe and reliable not always the best of results when it comes to WS..but it has worked for me...and still is..don't loose sight and keep on keeping on..

15. Keanan

Aweh, they where nice and healthy when they were bagged.
    There have been many successful stories yes but many unsuccessful too.

I will do that.

Shot.

16. Keanan

My midas blenny came out to play.:)

What would you guys suggest, 200l WC today or 100l today and 100l tomorrow?

Thanks dude.

17. Nur

Nur Starz

i would say 50% today, then 10% from thursday to sunday, on sunday night check all params, if need be carry on with 10% on monday till you happy with the water quality. wouldnt hurt giving the dt a light syphon (just the top layer of substrate, like 1cm) at least 2 to 3 hours after lights out as the ws hop off their host at night, i did this every second day.

that sort of regiment worked for me. havent had WS for at least 3 months now.

18. crispin

crispin

im sorry for your losses, thoise ae all lovely fish and its sad when things die.

its been said and you'll get bored of hearing it, so i'll say it again just to make sure the message goes out, QT fish BEFORE they go into a tank. Fish looking active and healthy at a pet shop is no guarentee they dont have WS, its just a small step in the right direction when choosing your new fish.

I wiould hesitate to blame the product to be honest, there are too many other possible factors that could have been the cuase. Id also caution against aggresive fish like Clown tangs unless you have the space and know the fishes personality from before. Think about that as a possibly poor choice in tank mate IMO at any rate.

but i just want to point out that water changes will NOT cure WS. They will improve potencially poor water quality after a disaster like you have had, but the general tone as i have read it that doing water changes will improve the WS situation in this tank is False.

again sorry for your losses fella, its never easy to get new fish and loose them straight away.

19. Keanan

Cool will do so.

Yeah I hear you crispin as well as the others. Will speak to the bosses of the house and hear what they say about another tank.

The clown tang was still small, the smallest in the tank and I'd rather put up with its aggressiveness than to get another regal tang for my mom. He was very active and friendly with my other fish, my scopas didnt even take note of him. But like you said they are actually poor choices especially when small. This is the second or third one I've tried and wont be getting one again. TBH all clown tangs I've seen in LFS's here dont make it to 2 weeks.

My other fish are fine and dont show any symptoms of WS. I actually dont know when last I saw a spot on the other fish, it was only my regal that got a spot or two now and then but never got bad.

What really gets to me is the fact that all thre golies died too and yesterday they where fine. Well the two big ones hid away a bit but the small one was active and eating last night still.

20. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

I am going to have a guess that the new fish died from suffocation. If you switched the skimmer off, added new fish and circulation was not rippling the water surface for CO2 -O2 exchange the weaker ones will die first.

This is something to always consider when medicating and instructions advise turning the skimmer off.

21. Keanan

@Nemos Janitor, the new fish was added on Saturday. I added the herbtana and switched off the skimmer last night only but I have a flow pump facing towards the water surface as well as a airline tube pumping air into the sump.

Recent Posts