coin lost in tank

Reaction score
Hi. Gents by mistake I dropped a 50 cent coin in my tank. Problem is that I can't find it can this do any harm to the tank ans corals

It isnt good and over time it really depends on the volume of water you have but heavy metals do poison marine life in small volumes of water, try use a magnet cleaner to find it

Dont know if it is copper but personally i would get it out.

How did this happen?? Did you play Coinage???:p
Hopefully did not spill brandy and coke in there too. :)

Actually a 50 cent coin will be picked up by a magnet, as you cannot see it I assume it may have fallen behind rockwork. You could use an impellor attached to gut if the space is small and a glass cleaner magnet if you can get it in (possibly in a jiffy bag).

Hopefully did not spill brandy and coke in there too. :)

Actually a 50 cent coin will be picked up by a magnet, as you cannot see it I assume it may have fallen behind rockwork. You could use an impellor attached to gut if the space is small and a glass cleaner magnet if you can get it in (possibly in a jiffy bag).

Yup you will have to get it out soon. The SA 50cent coin is made of bronze plated steel. Bronze as we know contains copper. If you have stray voltage in your tank the copper will quickly come into solution. This will have a big impact on corals and LR.
Fifty Cent (50c)

Last edited:
Did you get it out?
Hi. Gent I managed to get the coin out this after noon the coin was inside for about 20 hours when I removed the coin it was starting to rust. My corals and fish are all ok but my star fish is not that happy. Could this have an effect on the star fish. It seems as if the star is weak can't stick to glass properly buy and moves very slowly.

generally , inverts (shrimps / snails / starfish / corals) will br effected the most if copper is present

Back
Top Bottom