Coil Denitrifier

Reaction score
I read allot on it. Came to the conclusion that a DSB is much better and more beneficial to a system... Just my two cents ;)

If you want to make one there are nice plans availible on about.com under marine filtration DIY.

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hi Aziz - I have made one, a very long time ago. MandarinMan (Glenn) has made one NOT too long ago.

The problem with a coil denitrifier, is that it take EXTREMELY long before it is effective, AND you have to be 100% sure that the water flow-rate is correct.

I have chucked mine out a VERY long time ago, ever since I moved over to a Deep Sand Bed. A DSB is just as (if not more) effective than a denitrifier....

If you plan to make one - then go ahead. Test it for yourself.....

Reaction score
In my mind I think there is not enough studies done on it regardng the size and volume of your tank.
I wanted to build one, but when you speak to 01 guy, he'll say to you it need to release 03 drops per minute to be effective.
Another guy will say that it needs to be a litre per hour...

Again, I cannot work to these calculations, as one persons water volume is not the same as the next persons water volume in his tank. And also the fact that not all the outlet pipes are the same in size- hence one drop from mine will be completely different in volume to the other person's Dinitrifier's outlet drop in volume.
So yes, my 02 cents regarding this matter

Reaction score
In my mind I think there is not enough studies done on it regardng the size and volume of your tank.
I wanted to build one, but when you speak to 01 guy, he'll say to you it need to release 03 drops per minute to be effective.
Another guy will say that it needs to be a litre per hour...

Again, I cannot work to these calculations, as one persons water volume is not the same as the next persons water volume in his tank. And also the fact that not all the outlet pipes are the same in size- hence one drop from mine will be completely different in volume to the other person's Dinitrifier's outlet drop in volume.
So yes, my 02 cents regarding this matter
Hey Sean, the big thing with the water flow is that it becomes anoxic in the denitrator (Slow flow gives the aerobic bugs a chance to absorb more oxygen). You could measrue the oxygen levels when the water exits the denitrator. As long as it is low there shouldn't be a problem. Also your water volume shouldn't inlfuence the flow rate that much. More your bio load and nitrate availibility.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
leslie hempel DIY 10
Paul B DIY 6
Fester ID Needed 6
Paul B DIY 17
Annoying DIY 16