Coast to coast overflows

Discussion in 'Anything DIY Related' started by VicZA, 20 Jul 2013.

1. VicZA

VicZA

Hi All,

I really like the idea of a coast to coast overflow, simply because of its effectiveness at skimming. I have also been reading up on using Durso Standpipes in designs to eliminate (or reduce) noise. However, one of the major problems with this design would be that bits of uneaten food and bits of grit would settle at the bottom of the overflow chamber and be very difficult to clean ...

Does anyone have any ideas to overcome this problem ?

Also is a coast-to-coast overflow not too effective and just skims away food as you drop it in to the tank ?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Nur

Nur Starz

Get a return pump that can has a feed function.
    When you select feed it stops the return and
    the overflow will also stop until the return starts.

I would just symphony out dirt that collects.
    Will be made easy if you have one of the pumps
    mentioned above. While its on feed you siphon.

That's just my logic, I have experience with neither.

4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

detritus etc will collect at the bottom of the overflow box. Do not glue the standpipe into the bulkhead. Then once a month, or whenever needed, just pull the pipe out, flushing the overflow box.

5. VicZA

VicZA Thread Starter

will look into those ... are skinny overflows less noisy ?

6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Depends on the setup, but normally no.

They depend on a ball valve or gate valve on the outlet to ensure that the water level stays vairly high in the overflow chamber so that you do not have the waterfall effect in the back of the tank.

Alternative is a short skinny overflow, that is only 100mm deep that flows out the back of the tank. St least no ball valve is needed as the waterfall effect is eliminated. But then again the tank have to stand a bit away from the wall to allow space for the downpipes.

7. Ml.RIDWAN

Ml.RIDWAN

I have an idea don't kno if anyone does it. at the bottom of the tank drill either 1 or 2 holes either side instead of a coast to coast have a whole sheet of glass up to water level you get full surface skimming and. Don't kno but it might be more quite. Coz less drop or piping into through sump

8. VicZA

VicZA Thread Starter

Not sure I understand ... could you do a sketch or something ?

9. 3dd

3dd

I have a coast-to-coast with a BeanAnimal overflow.

It's extremely silent, except now and then there is to much suction from the main drain pipe, a small vortex forms and you can then hear that as it sucks the water down. Easy fix though cause you just raise the water level inside the overflow by turning a ball valve.

Detritus does though settle inside the overflow box, but it's easy too clean, I just run an old credit card around on the bottom and move everything too the main drain pipe, everything then gets sucked up and ends up in the filter sock.

Feeding sometimes is a problem though, but as stated just put the pump on controller with feed mode, or what I do when feeding flakes, I'll release them under the water, which forces them into the water column and then they don't en up in overflow.

10. Ml.RIDWAN

Ml.RIDWAN

Ok let me try explain. On back wall of your tank have your outlets at the BOTTOM of the tank. Either 1 other 2 outlets. Piping goes normally into the sump. ok now for the over flow. Ul need a whole sheet of glass da length of your tank in width and a few cm shorter than your height as your overflow. Leave a slight gap for the water to overflow. Obviously ul need to put braces on the corners. in the overflow side.

11. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

A coast to coast overflow, that flows out the bottom of the tank, and you need to add another glass pane to the setup and build cost. Plus weight. Keep that in mind.

12. VicZA

VicZA Thread Starter

I suppose this would be true of any overflow really, suppose the narrower the overflow (corner or box overflow) the less likely the food would skim overboard ....

What is the importance of skimming the water ? I see in the write-up on overflow one of the first comments is "effective skimming" ...

13. VicZA

VicZA Thread Starter

I think we have the same idea then .... I was thinking of something like this :

Overflow detail 01.jpg

Overflow detail 02.jpg

Overflow detail 03.jpg

14. VicZA

VicZA Thread Starter

You make good point ... I want to use dark black perspex ... would that be a problem ? Want a black background for colors to stand out.

15. 3dd

3dd

Actually allot, my quarantine tank is a small 100L nano, which has no overflow and no skimmer on. After a few weeks it gets a funny green algae on top of the water (looks like small dots).

I'm sure if the tank had a light unit it would affect the light penetration in the tank, and it just looks ugly.

The skimming of the water surface also helps moving the DOC (Dissolved organic compounds) from the display tank to the sump, where the skimmer can do it's job and remove them from the water.

16. Ml.RIDWAN

Ml.RIDWAN

That's exactly the idea I had in mind. Didn't think about the weight issue with glass. But Perspex will be a solution.

17. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

That little triangular box, before building it, you need to fit your bulkhead. And be sure that there is enough space to get the bulkhead in. I reckin it should rather be a square box.

18. VicZA

VicZA Thread Starter

agreed ! will this setup cause sufficient flow ? Perspex a problem ?

19. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Although skinny overflows looks awesome, space saving, neat design. Personally I do not like them. Had one once, and the noise due to a snail that crawled in and died was not nice. And due to the euro bracing going over there was not way to get something in there to hook the shell out. Then on another occasion a blue yellow tail damsel went down the overflow and blocked the ballvalve that is used to make them silent. Flooded my display and after I opened the valve the Damsel flushed out to sump, it did survive.

20. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Rimless tank, yes go for it. Braced tank, ensure that there are no bracing above the overflow.

21. VicZA

VicZA Thread Starter

I am going for a rimless tank. Also I was thinking of using small wire mess (it's actually made from rubber) - like you get as non-slip mats for the boot of your car - that would lie just beneath the skimming surface to catch any larger chunks of food and prevent fish from going down the skinny. Would be quite easy to do but I am not sure if it would defeat the surface skimming process. Also not sure if that rubber would withstand the salt and other chemicals in the water .... :whistling:

Recent Posts