Coast to Coast - Is it overrated or not.

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by sandersc, 22 Mar 2015.

1. sandersc

sandersc

Guys & Girls.

I am thinking about my overflow on my new tank and are considering a very shallow and narrow coast to coast overflow. Does a coast to coast really have a huge benefit or not. I like the idea and think if done nicely. looks supercool.
    BUT is it really that much better in terms of surface skimmimng?

Like to hear your thoughts.

Sanders

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. sandersc

sandersc Thread Starter

Nobody with something to say about coast to coast, good or bad? At this stage I am for the coast to coast.

4. Nsteyn

Nsteyn

I have a coast to coast and could never get it quiet. Irritated me to the point that in my new build I have done away with it. Never seen a major advantage in surface skimming. Looks nice though and takes up little area in the tank.

5. sandersc

sandersc Thread Starter

@Nsteyn was it the water running into the c2c or was it the water in the downpipes thar was noisy?

Sanders

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  6. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

i think C2C is great, surface skimming removes floating debris, surface oils, and also helps with gas exchange

7. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

What dallas said, and yes, it looks a lot better than a box in the corner.
    Considering Your nutrient processing plant is concentrated in your sump, you want to maximize the delivery of wastes to it..... Coast to coast... Even with huge turnover rates, a conrner or central or simple bulkhead pipe is never as effecient in getting water to your sump as a coast to coast.
    Also bear in mind that wastes do tend to congregate at the surface and the more of those you can get out....

8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

On my previous tank, I had a almost coast to coast. Tank was 1.5, Overflow was 1m on the center back panel. Surface skimming was excellent.

Current tank. I got a short 450mm overflow on the left short side of a 3.2m long tank. Inlet is on the opposite short side. Surface skimming is rather good. Everything move over slowly to the left and no rubbish floats on top of the water.

Problem is feeding time. Surface skimming with both setups are so good, that flakes that float on top of the water gets down the overflow before being eaten. No point in feeding a skimmer perfect flakes either. Need to switch the return pump off when feeding to lessen the detritus buildup in the sump.

9. sandersc

sandersc Thread Starter

Yes in total, my C2C lenght is going to be 2900 mm. This is if my built don't change.

I normally switch of my return when I feed.

10. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Why that long?
    That will be one long overflow comb as well.

What is the tank dimensions you got in mind?

11. sandersc

sandersc Thread Starter

I just thought I will get a very even skim with such a long overflow comb and I think it will be a bit more silent, because the volume of water going through the overflow is now less per cm.

However, how is a C2C going to influence your wave in the aquarium, or will it not have an effect?

Recent Posts