Clowns Laying Again!

Reaction score
Hi all,

After 18 months of my clowns not laying (due to many factors, including tank re-doing, anemone dying, high salinity), they are at it again! They've been cleaning a spot for weeks now, and I saw this yesterday:

eggs1.jpg

eggs2.jpg

The bad news is that my greenwater has crashed the last time I split it (about a month ago), and I need new starter culture ... Anyone close to Melville / Northcliff or CBD of Jhb that can help me out please please please?

I'll probably just leave this batch and get the next one. What I'll do with this batch is take photo's every day at about the same time to track the progress. That way I'll have something to look back at and compare against when trying to gauge when the eggs will hatch, so that they can be taken out at the right time. It should take about 7 or 8 days, but it would be helpful to have some pics to compare to and track progress.

So, anyone have some greenwater culture, please?

Reaction score
how old do clowns have to be before they spawn? i have 2 percula's hosting in my anemone. but are only about 3-4cm long...

Reaction score
Hi all,

So, I took photos of the eggs every day (except one over the weekend), and they hatched on Saturday night. I'll post the "daily progess" photos later ... Unfortunately, have to leave them at the mercy of the elements, since I still haven't found new greenwater culture.

And wouldn't you know, yesterday there was another batch of eggs (two weeks after the first batch). They're back with a vengence, it seems. Does anyone know where I might try finding some greenwater, please, please, please?

Reaction score
Are you needing the greenwater to grow the rotifiers? If so, why not try speralina, I've managed to grow BBS nicely on it and sure the rotifiers will take to it too?

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
Looking forward to the pics. Sorry to hear about your greenwater issues, that is something that we seem to seriously lack in this country unfortunately.

Reaction score
Are you needing the greenwater to grow the rotifiers? If so, why not try speralina, I've managed to grow BBS nicely on it and sure the rotifiers will take to it too?
Yes, for the rotifers. I don't know if spirulina (that's what you mean, right) is small enough. Rotifers are about 100micron, and the algae about 4-10 micron. Have no idea about spirulina except for dried stuff.