Urgent help needed Clowns have black dots

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by Regs, 2 Dec 2011.

1. Regs

Regs

Hey guys my 2 clowns have got black dots on them . My wife noticed it
    Last night , I did a water change yesterday afternoon with NSW from
    Umhlanga , do you think it has anything to do with that ? PS I don't have any corals
    That can sting them ? And. My other fish are fine ..are they
    Contagious ? -I will Attach pics later thanx

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jaquesdp08

jaquesdp08

Wich clown species ?

Ive had Clarki clowns with black spots and never had problems..

4. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

Most of the times the Black Spots are stressed related..I believe it's relatively easy to "cure", but the majority leave their Fish as they believe you actually cause more stress with removing them, then QT and then back again...Both my Clowns have Black Spots...I'm suprised that when I woke up this morning their spots haven't increased as I had no power for 10h and stirred with a spoon every 15min...I would have thought THAT would stress them out....:p Post a pic so we can confirm that it is indeed just "plain" black spots and not something more serious....hmmmm think someone said that if you have snails in a Tank that would explain maybe the "origin" of Blackspots in you'r Tank...

Just one of many Sites...
    Did you Test you'r water after the water change...? maybe NSW had higher/lower Salinity and/or MAG,ALK...maybe even not "clean" enough...?

Last edited: 2 Dec 2011
  5. Regs

Regs Thread Starter

Hey Belinda thanx for all that input I really appreciate it , here are pics they are the Ocellaris Clownfish, Clownfish or False Percula Clownfish... it was an over night black spots ..they never had one spot on before , its definatly not their colouring , it was overnight they have lots of them , even the photos dont do them justice ( very black) oh and I dont have any snails in my tank - Check pic out thanx guys

[​IMG]

6. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

WOW..don't think that's blackspots..? hell of a lot of "smudges"..sure it's not trying to "host" against something...?

7. Regs

Regs Thread Starter

What does Hosting against something mean , like as it would with an anenome ? they sit up against the glass on the one side and thats it , must i just leave them? and it will go away...do u think maybe it was the water change? All my parameters are fine...

8. rakabos

rakabos

mine have always had black spots, they get stung by the coral when thy try and host them

9. Regs

Regs Thread Starter

hello rakabos for sure but I dont have any corals that would sting them ? I have
    Zoanthids , fanworms and mushrooms ,nothing to sting them

10. jaquesdp08

jaquesdp08

I dont think its serious. ill just feed a little bit more and keep and eye on them

11. rakabos

rakabos

Zoanthids are quite capable of inflicting the damage. Ive seen many a clown trying to host them

12. Regs

Regs Thread Starter

Oh serious rakabos excuse my ignorance :p I never thought they would sting a clown , ok I learnt something today , well i added the zoanthids on the week end they come from the beach in Chakas Rock , so that could be an option, so will the rash go away then do you think ? here is one of 3 rocks with Zoanthids on. they are not opened here but they do open up nicely

[​IMG]

13. rakabos

rakabos

Yeah it comes and goes, just keep an eye on them. Mine have spots from time to time then it fades again

14. zak

zak

Is this black spots? My tang has stopped feeding for the last 2 days..

[​IMG]

15. Regs

Regs Thread Starter

Ok thanks Rakabos , so it is a common thing , you have been a great help, I really appreciate it :) I will just keep watching them

16. rakabos

rakabos

Run a google search and you will see how common it is, just make sure that the examples you see, match what you see on your guys

17. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  18. Regs

Regs Thread Starter

Hey Zak ,sorry bu I dunno much about Blackspot? maybe Rakabos knows this one :)

19. Dane

Dane

The black spots we are referring to is called hypermelanisation and - as mentioned in this thread - is a common response to the stinging cells (nematocysts) when they begin hosting/habituating a new coral. It should fade as the host become more acclimatised to their presence.

That said, yours does not look anything like the hypermelanisation that my clowns get. As Dave mentioned, the black spots are usually far more discrete and clear, and doesnt usually cover the whole body... I'm not sure what that might be - but an extreme hypermelanisation is possible, especially seeing as you just introduced corals. Although zoas are not a particularly common host for clowns....

I'd remain observant, and as Rakabos suggested a widespread google image search and trying to match up yours with others may be your best bet.

20. Regs

Regs Thread Starter

Besides the blacks spots the clowns are a 100 percent happy . And are still very unaffected and are eating well ...so ill just wait and see what happens I am sure they will come right again , thanx again for all the suggestions guys .

Recent Posts