clownfish

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Nemo321, 2 Aug 2013.

1. Nemo321

Nemo321

Hey guys

how many different species of clownfish can i put together and which types, cause atm I got a saddle back and 2 common clowns and i want to know which other clown fish will go with them without fighting ;)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Ebi Omer

Ebi Omer

Tagging

4. tekkengal

tekkengal Moderator

How big is your tank? The different types will fight if they do not have enough space to set up their territories. I think the occelaris is the most chilled of he clowns, Percs are a bit more aggressive. Maroons are borderline psycho and aggressive, not too sure how the other clown species are.

For what it is worth, I have a 250l tank and had two pairs of occelaris in there. The two dominant clowns ended up bullying the smaller two and one of the smaller clowns had a pelvic fin ripped out. I have a backup tank that I the smaller two in and they are all happy now. If you get more than two pairs you currently have, I would suggest a backup plan in the event that the new pairs you introduce end up fighting with the existing clowns.

5. pkc

pkc

I have kept 7 different species of amphiprions together and all got on really good for the year and a half of that experiment, I get bored with things easily once they are doing well.
    I never have a potential pair and always make sure the smallest is the more aggressive species.
    I had a tiny Vanuatu Melanopus, the next size was a skunk, and the next up was a frenatus,then a saddle back, then two male latezonatus and the largest was a percula.

For a few years now I only keep our local latz,it’s patriotic,lol,they are Auzies after all.
    One of them is just turning full adult male at just over one inch, which is so small!

That’s what I like to do, what isn’t usually done.

What ever you do, vary the sizes and add the ones that you want to do this with as the lights go out and have a tiny night light for that night.

Last edited: 3 Aug 2013
  6. Nemo321

Nemo321 Thread Starter

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  7. pkc

pkc

The size of your aquarium is good, just be sure of your bio systems capacity to take care of all waste that your skimmer doesn't get out and your waters oxygen levels, these two deicide who will be sent psycho and who will not.

Territorial attitudes are right up there when the fish are stressed, less stress and quite often they don't give a dam, unless at feeding time!

Recent Posts