Clownfish @ my wedding?

as for honeymoon, thats going to wait a while so that we can recover from the wedding and will have to be after our summer (August) when we will head out to Fiji for diving and deep blue fly fishing

Firstly let me say there is no reason for anyone to get nasty, we all have bad ideas but this isnt a good one irrespective of how you see it here is why

The hobby already puts enough strain/stress on the fish catching them in the first place and transporting them this should be minimized(it is responsible for 90% of the deaths in the hobby) , marine fish can take months to acclimate to environments not just hours, they acclimate to water faster but not the environment alot don't adjust and die from the stress- i have no doubt the wedding would shorten some of their lives- i am glad you decided against it and glad you were humble enough to ask for feedback.

there are much better ways to let people know about the hobby, plus people may get the impression that clownfish are as easy as the many abused goldfish which they are not , they have complex social structures and to display them in an inappropriate setting wherever it is , is just wrong!

In nature these fish are never found far from their hosts, and live on pristine reefs where anemones would thrive, just because we have cracked the code to breeding them doesnt mean they are now worth any less as living creatures even if they have become "Cheap"

Rather invite your guests over time to see your aquarium a much better introduction to the hobby.

Its always easy to criticise without offering a solution and we all make mistakes....... So bro, what about this compromise then.

Why dont you set up a proper tank fully equipped with sump and skimmer in the centre of the room as your main display with a whole lot of clowns. A circular or hexagonal tank will be spectacular and will not be as cheesy as having live fish at each table. Invite a fellow reefer to look after the tank so you can enjoy the wedding.

Lol, it sounds like a good compromise at first thought but it sounds like way too much work when you think about it - carting a tank around (I know I wouldn't skimp on size here because the way I see it is "you either go big or you go home" so that would be a mission in itself) and the sump with all the equipment... whew! Thanks again.

My contribution to the hobby and the forum with my pics is to continue to inspire reefers to maintain their hobbies. Thanks for taking the trouble to view them.

This is off-topic and I hate to sound like I'm blowing smoke up your arse here unnecessarily but you're too modest... anybody with as much skill and understanding as you possess where you're able to capture a fish's personality without it speaking or physically moving deserves ample praise and respect - I only wish that I was able to find someone locally to teach me how you're doing it :p

Yeah, read your decision. Just wanted to add my 2 cents, as I have seen a lot of "bandwagon jumpers" and negative comments towards great ideas on this forum over the past couple of months.
Good luck with the wedding.....

Cheers and thanks again.

Dude, I was against the idea to start with, and with my inability to manage even small disasters, it's probably for the better. However, having listened to your level headed response to many of the unkind comments to something that you and you fiance have thought through on a practical and ethical level, I've come to the conclusion that I was being judgemental and hypocritical in assuming that this is in any way something that shows disrespect to Mother Nature. It's our inability as humans to show equal respect to ALL life forms and each other that is offensive. You've thought this over, and the stresses placed on the animals will be far less than being shipped in a small plastic bag for days and them being dumped into a tank, often into very hostile conditions. I'm certainly not gonna point a finger at you and say that you don't have the right. I'm also not going to insult the intelligence of your guests by saying that they'll throw cigarette butts into the temporary tanks. You may even make mention of the dos and don'ts on the invitations. I really hope that we haven't spoilt a dream that you and your lady had. You don't need our blessing to make this happen. That you ask our advice on a subject that you know is going to be a got potato is commendable. Maybe the replies from here on will be in the same spirit. . . Maybe not. .

Thanks Mudshark - I appreciate the response.

To be honest, I was almost expecting the responses that were given which is why I wasn't surprised when I read them. But to fully understand why a person says what he/she says what they say you have to put yourself into their shoes and respond to it without arrogance and spite.

From your point of view (yours being the poster), you don't know my situation/experience so you pull from your own experience to put your opinions across and because you don't know my situation/experience you take the side of the fish as something you know already. Also, we all know there are too many people who don't know enough about this hobby so again, to be safe, we take the side of the fish.

This got way too deep, sheesh....

excelent post mudshark, kudos fella.

erratic what i did (just throwing ideas at you) was to instead of number a table have it represent something significant in my wifes life and mine. For example dogs, specific horses we have, sheep birds and naturally fish. I then printed a decent pic of each of that and had it on the centre piece decoration and a board with each persons name against that pic. I'll dig out a pic for you to explain, but you could easily choose 6 or 8 fish you realy like and have photos of each as a way of showing your passion.

as example i used a photo of my old blond naso tang i had taken to represent my passion for marines and this is what it looked like...

No ways could I take an idea like that... way too personal and the fact that you even posted it here on an open forum speaks volumes. If I did use it I'd have to send you some cake (or in our case, a cinnebon as we don't do wedding cake) to say thanks :p

Absolutely awesome idea though - it must have been an incredibly personal, and also amazing, wedding.

My fiancée would probably love it.

You are willing to let them die? I gaurentee you some of them will die as a result of your actions. If you are happy to let them die then go for it

Some comments are getting a little out of hand. He posted the idea looking for suggestions/comments/help and never said he would definitely go through with it. The point of MASA is to be constructive, help fellow reefers and politely guid them in the right direction.
Just to clear things up for the speed readers - @erratiC are you still going to attempt clownfish in a vase?

Last edited by a moderator:
Some comments are getting a little out of hand. He posted the idea looking for suggestions/comments/help and never said he would definitely go through with it. The point of MASA is to be constructive, help fellow reefers and politely guid them in the right direction.
Just to clear things up for the speed readers - @erratiC are you still going to attempt clownfish in a vase?

I respectfully disagree...

An idea like this deserves all the negative attention it is receiving

Last edited:
I respectfully disagree...

An idea like this deserves all the negative attention it is receiving
You disagree.... NOT respectfully though. You've dismissed it out of hand without giving reasons or bringing forward a new perspective. Erratic has been nothing but polite and accomodating to all suggestions, in the face of some serious negative criticism. Let's afford him the courtesy by at least responding in a similar fashion.

You disagree.... NOT respectfully though. You've dismissed it out of hand without giving reasons or bringing forward a new perspective. Erratic has been nothing but polite and accomodating to all suggestions, in the face of some serious negative criticism. Let's afford him the courtesy by at least responding in a similar fashion.

I was disagreeing respectfully with the mod's post, settle down

Why not have a poll?

1. All saying its ok to have clownfish in a bowl at a wedding table on one hand
2. Those thinking its a bad idea

I highly doubt an established tank with heaters, pumps, rules etc can be compared to a fish bowl with kids and adults tapping the glass, putting "food" in the fish bowls, but what do i know

You are willing to let them die? I gaurentee you some of them will die as a result of your actions. If you are happy to let them die then go for it

@rakabos - he is NOT doing it anymore, he posted it a while ago. So this post was unnessecary.

I highly doubt an established tank with heaters, pumps, rules etc can be compared to a fish bowl with kids and adults tapping the glass, putting "food" in the fish bowls, but what do i know

Someone hasn't been reading the whole tread :whistling: he said no kids and intelligent guests.

I do not understand all the negative comments and opinions towards this idea, from what i am reading people are putting their passions before reality. Yes we are all against cruelty, but this is not cruel, I think its an awesome 'concept' which erratic has obvious thought about alot and wouldn't consider it if he was murdering 40 clowns. his response to the comments inspires me, i would have called the idea off but he has put in more thought than most realize.

Dude, you have my support as a wedding is not jus a once off, some fish fly 13 hours on a plane with a tiny bag of water, clowns are hardy and don't usually get whitespot, they're so beautiful and 'funny', using them as an ambassador for the species is awesome. I just hope all goes well and may the goddess of water parameters be with u.:1:

There's a fine ethical line within our hobby and I think the strong opinions (from either side) are just a good display of the passion involved in reef keeping. I personally wouldn't keep marine fish on the table as I know what a mission it was for my family to clear up the table decorations at our wedding, let alone worry about livestock!

As much as a novel idea it would be, the wedding is about you and your bride. I would just advise not to let any other things get in the way of you two on your special day. Your marine tank already stops you from having all the holidays and (stress free) get-a-ways already, don't let it add another juggling ball on your wedding day :)

Good luck bro! My first wedding anniversary was on 18 December and i'm loving it :)

Wow... I'm not going to even dignify this comment with a response... do you want to know what the worst part is? If I had had 10000 posts under my name you wouldn't have been so quick to not read the entire thread before posting this.

459b, a true moderator :p and I am not doing it.

Why not have a poll?

1. All saying its ok to have clownfish in a bowl at a wedding table on one hand
2. Those thinking its a bad idea

Wow, again.

Someone hasn't been reading the whole tread :whistling: he said no kids and intelligent guests.

I do not understand all the negative comments and opinions towards this idea, from what i am reading people are putting their passions before reality. Yes we are all against cruelty, but this is not cruel, I think its an awesome 'concept' which erratic has obvious thought about alot and wouldn't consider it if he was murdering 40 clowns. his response to the comments inspires me, i would have called the idea off but he has put in more thought than most realize.

Dude, you have my support as a wedding is not jus a once off, some fish fly 13 hours on a plane with a tiny bag of water, clowns are hardy and don't usually get whitespot, they're so beautiful and 'funny', using them as an ambassador for the species is awesome. I just hope all goes well and may the goddess of water parameters be with u.:1:

Thanks deadmeat - you've been open-minded since the beginning.. appreciated.

There's a fine ethical line within our hobby and I think the strong opinions (from either side) are just a good display of the passion involved in reef keeping. I personally wouldn't keep marine fish on the table as I know what a mission it was for my family to clear up the table decorations at our wedding, let alone worry about livestock!

As much as a novel idea it would be, the wedding is about you and your bride. I would just advise not to let any other things get in the way of you two on your special day. Your marine tank already stops you from having all the holidays and (stress free) get-a-ways already, don't let it add another juggling ball on your wedding day :)

Good luck bro! My first wedding anniversary was on 18 December and i'm loving it :)

Cheers, thanks Matt, appreciate the input.

erratic, good idea not to do it, having fish on the table would have been a bit "kitchy" anyway.

Thanks Singularity... personally, if I went to a wedding and saw any type of fish be it clownfish and goldfish I wouldn't think it "kitchy" but each to his own and that's your view.

Thank you to everyone that contributed to this thread. I've learned A LOT about the users on this forum and more about who's advice to follow than through the "Rep" and "Thanks" systems. :)

Back
Top Bottom