Clownfish @ my wedding?

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by erratiC, 16 Jan 2012.

1. erratiC

erratiC

Hey all,

I'm getting married in August this year and my fiancee and I were seriously considering getting about 4 - 5 Clownfish per table as a centrepiece instead of the traditional flower arrangement.

It's going to be a relatively small wedding - 65 ppl odd so that would make around 32 clowns in total (8 people to a table with 8 tables with 4 clowns per table). We were thinking it might be even better if we had different types of clowns per table.

Now, we want to start collecting clowns now to make sure we can hand pick every single one so that we aren't forced to take any shoddy looking ones with a big batch all at once.

I have a 5foot tank that I'm busy putting together but I'm also looking at eventually getting a QT as well... should I section the 5foot into say 4 or 5 sections for the different types of clowns and bare not having a main tank for the next 8 months or should I get that QT now and section that off? What size would be appropriate for holding 32 clowns?

As for keeping them... I'm thinking of the tank as the same type of tanks that the LFS keeps - no LR with loads of skimming, heaters, powerheads and water changes.. this should be ok? When we've had the wedding we'll probably either trade them back to the LFS for peanuts or even consider giving the fish to them... either way, we can't keep 32 clowns.

As for the day of the wedding we're going to have tall, wide vases in the centre of the table with a single battery-powered airpump covered by stones to make it look cool. Lighting I was thinking about either a single 3W led or a couple, whichever looks better, on top of the vase shining down lighting the fish up. Our reception is going to be an air conditioned room so I don't think heaters will be needed. We'll have the fish caught afterwards and taken back to our QT which is only about a 20 min drive.

I know reading this was long but can anybody think of anything else that I might be missing? I think it'll be fun and I know some people will probably think of getting their own so getting more people into the hobby is always a bonus.

And lastly, is it crazy because I'm thinking our close friends and family are going to think we're a couple fries short of a happy meal (if you know what I mean)? :thumbup:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Easier to organise with LFS to "RENT" a clown for that day, and to return the next day. They will charge you, but it will be cheaper.

4. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

Ironically my wedding is in march. We also considered this option. but decied to do the same thing but wiith floating clownfish (fake) as i would be more worried about the fish than the wedding....

Hails likes this.
  5. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

Sounds awesome and plausible. the clowns would last a couple of hours in a small tank of standing water but they wont be happy, perhaps a small air pump per tank might help

6. Achilles

Achilles

i would not do this too livestock, they are not ornaments as some people may view them but living creatures which deserve the utmost respect! Just because they maybe captive bred or wild caught and at times subjected to harsh and unnatural enviroments i would not agree they should be used in this fashion! bad idea in my opinion. As hobbyists we have duty to look over livestock in the best way possible or not have them at all.

Last edited: 16 Jan 2012
    RUAN, Helga, gMAN and 14 others like this.
  7. jaquesdp08

jaquesdp08

Spca :)

Last edited: 16 Jan 2012
    ReefMaster likes this.
  8. chikaboo

chikaboo

I think this is an awesome idea ... everything EXCEPT the live clownfish ..... you get those plastic ones that have moving tails ... will give you the same effect but no stress of something dying ... remember you want the people present there to remember your big day ... not how some poor fish was trapped on your eating table ... Make memories of YOUR big day .... Don't have it marred by someone's comments on how cruel it is to keep live fish in a glass ... remember not everyone shares our love for these creatures .....

9. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

exactly what i am planning :thumbup:

10. brentv

brentv

After a couple of:peroni::peroni::peroni:... everbody tries to feed and/or harrass the fish in bowls... seen it many times... sorry bud, bad idea!:blush:

11. mytank

mytank

I agree dude good idea but think about the animals, think about aunt Betty that gets pissed and wants to feed nemo, cuz roofes that wants to show off to the brides maids and pisses into the tank, the terrible twins that think its cool to tap on the glass with knifes and forks or the cute little baby that pulls the table cloth off with nemo on it.

Get the fake ones.

12. Matt

Matt MASA Contributor

Also fully agree - Nice idea but clowns won't appreciate it much. Rather go for the plastic variety :)

13. Hails

Hails

Crazy store sells the glass floating fish :) will still look cool without stressing fish.

14. blackghostknife

blackghostknife

unique idea, but the stress on the clowns will be to much. Would be really cool thou!

15. rakabos

rakabos

That is a really good idea in concept, but a really REALLY bad idea for the fish. They will have non stop stress from everything going on around them. Dont do it

16. erratiC

erratiC Thread Starter

Hey guys, let me start off by replying saying that I completely agree with everything that was said here in response to my post and I'm not here to argue... that being said, let me get some responses in :thumbup:

Thanks Riaan - it's a good idea to rent and I think it would probably less stressful on me/my fiancée and the fish themselves having them come and go as fast possible - we would use the same water that the fish came in, acclimatise them when they got to the venue, etc. I'll go chat to the various LFS here in DBN - some will probably be sponsors so I'll see how it goes.

Firstly, good luck with your wedding and all the planning that's involved - my fiancée and I obviously know first hand what goes into one and it's not easy by any means.. we were giving the floating clown thing a chance but eventually decided on either going live or going with a traditional floral arrangement.

Oi! Speed reading! See below :p

Thanks Achilles - again, like I said in the beginning, I completely agree with everything you said but can we compare apples with apples here.. apologies for the long winded answer but it's necessary to get the point across that they will not once be in harm's way (if I have anything to do with it) to you and everyone that agrees with you..

A person comes all the way from Gauteng with the intention of catching fish and taking it back to their home.. they have big containers, a battery-operated air pump or two, a heater or two, etc. Once caught, these fish have to then travel 5 - 6 hours to get to where they are going in somewhat semi-decent conditions. Granted, they are in pitch darkness probably the entire way there but they are still being tossed around and abused until they are eventually acclimatised to their new home. There's obviously more examples that I could use but this is a more extreme example. I, on the other hand, am going to be transporting these fish for a maximum of 20 minutes to the venue and then to have them acclimatised again to the same water that they had been living in for the past couple months (water brought separately in different containers).

Then we have our LFS that keep fish in front of customers in their tanks until they are sold having the masses of customers that frequently walk by - this is essentially what I'll be doing minus the selling part and minus all the bright lights at the LFS. They'll be kept in vases that will have ample room for a maximum of probably around 6 hours, with a battery-operated air pump and some lighting. They'll then be transported back to the original tank after the wedding by people who have livestock for themselves and know how to care for them..

Like I said, some of my my family keep fish for themselves - not marine but they own live fish none the less so they know how to act towards, and for, live stock so there'll be no tapping on the glass and feeding them unnecessary varieties and amounts of food.. we're having no kids and it's a family-orientated wedding with the average person probably being around 25 - 35. Mature adults is what I'm getting at here.

Lol, so uncool dude, so uncool :lol:

17. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

lols great concept, personally I would not do it, too much effort and stress involved for me as i would be worried about the damn things all the time.

If you do decide to go ahead and do it post me some pics,

18. erratiC

erratiC Thread Starter

There's always the risk of something dying I'll acknowledge that of course but like I said previously we'll be having mature adults with no kids who some of which keep fish themselves (not marine - more cichlids and tropical).

Lol, good luck! Going to be unique and light-hearted - awesome! :thumbup:

He he - there's always one, granted! But my wedding isn't going to go that crazy lol, most of my family are boring and "British" (/me runs and hides) or they either own fish or know someone who does.

Lol, no kids at my wedding! :lol:

Thanks but it's either we go clowns or flowers :p There's no fake fish here.

See above :p

Thanks for your opinion, dude. :yeahdude:

What's the difference between this and the LFS? Check above reply...

Guys, obviously it sounds like my mind is convinced at having fish at our wedding but really it isn't which is the reason why I put feelers out there to get the general opinion.. clearly it's for the well being and care for the fish and I completely agree with this as any passionate marine hobbyist would/should be. I cannot underestimate the importance of the care that these fish with be handled with and looked after, should it even happen.

19. erratiC

erratiC Thread Starter

Shot dude for your opinion - it means a lot.. and if it happens there will definitely be loads of pics! :thumbup:

20. poiromaniax

poiromaniax MASA Contributor

As per most responses, I wouldn't do it.

What's going to happen to the fish after the wedding? Let's say they stress and get white spot or some random disease that they catch from one another, where do they go then cause no lfs will take them back?

IMO take the advice of 90% of the posters here and forget the idea, it is a great concept, but like most concepts it shouldn't be done.

Rather go for plastic fishes or I'm sure you can come up with a nicer idea for a centerpiece that isn't cliche, my mom is a caterer so I get to see plenty weddings and trust me there are so many things you can put as centerpieces that are as stunning if not more than fish in a tank. (and I'm not talking about flowers)

My 2c

21. chikaboo

chikaboo

OK lets bite the bullet here and just ask this question ... Had these clowns been in your tank as your pets for awhile now .... would you still want them to attend the function ... Are they coming only because they from a pet shop and not your personal pets .... Is it not in THEIR best interest to be taken care of as best as WE can as we have removed them from their natural habitat ...... Sure we all make mistakes but we supposed to be learning from them ... especially when it involves causing stressfull situations for the creatures from the sea ... Even as humans we must face difficulties but if advice is given and one does not pay heed to it then one must be prepared to face the consequences .... Some of us keep fish because we want a hobby ... some do it to try and give livestock a better life .... some have ulterior motives ... like keeping up with the Jones' .... Just curious to find out why you got involved with this hobby .... Please don't see this as a personal attack on you bud ... Just trying to figure out where in the big circle of this fascinating hobby you fall in ... It will help us all understand your point of view as to see why you feel its not wrong to put them as centerpieces .....

Recent Posts