Urgent help needed Clownfish in bad shape

Reaction score
Please have a look at these pics of my clown - the tail is "rotten" and there are white patches in various places .... can someone please diagnose this and give me some idea of what to do to try save this guy.

Clown is swimming freely and eating.

Thanks

sorry ... here are the pics

Clown 11-04-2014 (01).jpg

Clown 11-04-2014 (02).jpg

actually when I look at it closely now, it seems to be a reflection and not really white patches ... could this have been done by a predator ? Seems like I have lost another Peppermint Shrimp too so starting to think I may indeed have a predator problem. I did find a Gorilla Crab some time back in one of my rock but I sumped him. How would I catch a predator in the DT ?

that is not damage caused by a predator.
Fin rot or got panelbeated by another fish, either in your system or from before you bought it.

Hey bud,

I had very similar symptoms with one of my clowns when I first started my tank. I had no clue what it was or what was causing it. There were only chromis and a pajama cardinal in the tank with them. Mine also had like 2 white fluffy patches. I took the fish out and fresh water dipped him. Did this three times a week for two weeks, and it was fine after that. not sure if it would help, but I think its worth a shot.

I am going away this weekend so going to have to leave him like this for now and treat afterwards ... will try those suggestions. Is it ok to leave him in with the other fish ? Not going to "contaminate" the other fish ?

I never had it spread to other fish. But that's just my experience with it. I think that will also depend on what other fish you have in with him.

Try and boost the clowns immune system with

Vitality
Product Description
Vitality™ is a comprehensive vitamin, amino acid, and trace element supplement developed to address nutritional requirements commonly associated with long term closed system housing of marine ornamental fish. Vitality™ contains ascorbic acid in a heavy base of spirulina and chlorella. Ascorbic acid is a cofactor in the hydroxylation of proline and lysine to components of procollagen, the precursor of collagen, necessary for the formation of connective tissues, scar tissue in wound repair, and bone matrix. * Both spirulina and chlorella contain a rich assortment of amino acids and vitamins. Vitality™ can be used on freshwater ornamental fish; however, it is specifically designed for marine fish

hope the situation gets better soon ... please provide us with more details about the tank

In my opinion might me one of two things Bacteria or stress (some severe cases cause such thing)

The complete list of fish in the tank is:

2 x Percula Clowns
2 x Banana Wrasses
1 x Leopard Wrasse
1 x Bicolor Blenny
1 x Yellow Headed Goby
1 x Orange Spotted Goby
1 x Yellow Tang
3 x Red Fire Fish
2 x Fire Shrimp
2 x Peppermint Shrimp
1 x Pistol Shrimp
2 x Bubble-tip Anemones
3 x Hermit Crabs
12 (or so) Snails

Hey bud,

I had very similar symptoms with one of my clowns when I first started my tank. I had no clue what it was or what was causing it. There were only chromis and a pajama cardinal in the tank with them. Mine also had like 2 white fluffy patches. I took the fish out and fresh water dipped him. Did this three times a week for two weeks, and it was fine after that. not sure if it would help, but I think its worth a shot.

When you say fresh water dipped - I assume it is fresh RO water (as used for top-up) and how long do you dip the fish for ?

When you say fresh water dipped - I assume it is fresh RO water (as used for top-up) and how long do you dip the fish for ?

Yes. Check pH. Use bicarb to make pH same as tank water. Temp as well. Not longer than 3 minutes.

ok, if I dip him today then again Monday then can monitor better in the week (hopefully). So just catch him with a net and dip in the fresh water ?

ok, dipped him now for about a minute (or slightly less). He goes completely docile - thought he died like straight away (lol) .... can you explain what this dipping does ?

anyone please explain the fresh water dip therapy and also how often this should be done .... daily for 2 minutes ?

Yes RO water. Bring to the same temp and pH like Carlos mentioned. You can just float the container in your tank for temp. I dipped them for 5 minutes. They can stay in for about 10 mins before they start stressing

anyone please explain the fresh water dip therapy and also how often this should be done .... daily for 2 minutes ?

I did it every second day. Not sure how others do it. It was scary to me at first, but after a while you'll get the hang of it. I dip most of my new fish now.

Back
Top Bottom