Clownfish ID

Discussion in 'ID Needed' started by FishDeeva, 27 Feb 2011.

1. FishDeeva

FishDeeva

I found out there are many types of clownfish which resemble the Clarkii, including the Amphiprion allardi and so forth.

I don't know what mine are. I would truly like some ID from someone who is really great with subtle clownfish differentiation.

The mutations - I know the Misbar, but what do you call the spots and loops and the split on the head?

This is the pair. Flickr: FocusingOnLife's Photostream

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. LuckyFish

LuckyFish MASA Contributor

masahello

It is the Amphiprion akindynos from the great barrier reef.
    Captive bred and heavily misbarred, but unique.
    There are no special names for the loops, spots and splits on the market.
    Many misbarred clowns are called teardrops, depending on their pattern. As these kind of patterns occur almost only when captive bred, the breeder will give them a unique name to establish sort of a brand name on the market. Picassos, Snowcassos, Platinums, Snowflake, etc.

Last edited: 27 Feb 2011
  4. Tremayn

Tremayn

welcome :wave2:

5. Dane

Dane

Welcome, stunning misbars!

6. FishDeeva

FishDeeva Thread Starter

Thankyou so much! I knew they weren't normal Clarkii.

They don't look like Clarkii.

I love them so much. :)

7. LuckyFish

Glad I could help. Why did you ask here for identification and not on forums in the US?
    Just curious.;)

8. FishDeeva

FishDeeva Thread Starter

Honestly, I did not realize, til I was signing up, that this is in Africa.

I had run a search on rare clownfish. I was trying to ID my fish. I came across your page and you, specifically, in the search. Went to the forum and signed up.

Have I made a mistake signing up here? I'm so sorry. :(

9. Dane

Dane

@FishDeeva

You have definitely not made a mistake! Hahaha, although we are a South African based forum we happily welcome foreigners! We have members from all over the world and value their input and presence. :)

Welcome to MASA btw!

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  10. FishDeeva

FishDeeva Thread Starter

I am thrilled to participate! :) Thankyou.

I am from California, in the USA. I live in a central mountain community, surrounded by mountains and volcanoes. 5 to be exact. I have been to the coast, but our coast is cold. With 120F heat in the summer, we don't have the proper equipment to keep tanks cold enough to run any corals from our ocean shores.

I happened across this pair of fish in a petstore yesterday. The owner had brought in 3 black percula as well (all unique, one completely stripeless) and hopefully I can buy those on Monday or Tuesday.

11. Dane

Dane

Glad to have you on board!

One thing we tell all our new members is to start a thread just for their tank. Pics will be demanded, and you should explain what the setup is. This allows for us to see exactly whats running and if you have any queries we can answer them in context.

For example, you say that you have just bought a pair of clowns, and want to go back and purchase more. Clowns can be very territorial in a small space however, so if this is a good idea or not depends on the size of your aquarium, and the aquascaping too - are there enough spaces for the clowns to "claim as their own"?

I'd suggest you head to the "Members tanks" section (Members Systems and Setups - Marine Aquariums of South Africa) and start a thread to tell us about your system.

12. Anemone

Anemone

No need to be sorry! There are quite a few of us here from the US! I hope you enjoy your stay here.

13. LuckyFish

No, no, it is fine with us that you have joined Masa. Glad to hear that Masa can be found while searching for rare clowns. As I mentioned, just curious.
    Masa is more a big family than a forum, if compared with reef central. ;)
    Are you new to this hobby? Would you mind to introduce your set up in a thread?

According to your username, you are female? Or am I mistaken?

Again, a warm welcome to you!

Last edited: 28 Feb 2011
  14. FishDeeva

FishDeeva Thread Starter

Well, as a short intro, til I can get some photos of my tanks, I have five aquariums. I have fresh, salt and brackish tanks. I have had fish for over 35 years, and I am 46, so I did start around age 10. I have had saltwater fish only about 5 to 5.5 years. However, with my previous experience in fish-keeping, and the brackish experience, I have had an easier time than most do, imo. I did my reading first and I am a second-time reefkeeper. The first, I rushed everything and killed them all in one fell swoop. When I first tried, I was 16 16 year old girls rarely have the patience too setup reef tanks, plus, back then, there was almost no technology to keep things alive compared to now. I am an experienced fish breeder. I have reared many livebearing fish species, cichlids, african cichlids (primarily Malawi Lake Cichlids), and almost every known cichlid in our area. Our local stores did house and sell my stock, unfortunately, I got out of it years ago and now would kill for a nice double-divided tank to raise new clowns in. I'd like to raise some litters from my teardrop misbar and do some genetic experimentation to try to keep the teared strain strong. I've not tank-raised clowns yet, but am anxious to learn. Currently, my hybridized Mollies strain are quite intriguing. I have six juveniles I am working on to create the Deeva Molly. It is hybridized with orange, sailfin, dalmatian, lyretail and regular black and the fry all have these traits. The ideal fish it produces will hopefully be a sailfin orange with black dalmatian spots and a lyretail. I have him now. He's in the 6 fish pod, and I believe he's male, but to get his strain to strengthen, I have to wait for another litter and produce out of that, but let's not talk mollies! lol. Yep, I'm a woman. 46. California-raised. And I love my fish with all my heart and soul. My fresh tank is a tetra tank, planted, and my little brackish is for bumblebee gobies and baby molly fry. I play seven instruments and sing and play in aquariums. Those are my main hobbies. I don't know what else to put. My tanks are currently one 34 frameless/rimless, one 20L, a 7G nano rimless/frameless, a 3 gallon, and a 40. I am working on finding a 30 long to use for breeding/rearing clowns from the pair I have. I want to split the center and drill it and go from there. It's nice to meet you all.

15. LuckyFish

Now this is a pretty impressive intro. Well, I am almost 43 years old and never got into freshwater. I was going to, but when I went to the shop, they had marines. The passion was born. That was back in 1995. Pity I can not share my set up with you. It would make things so much easier for you. I got around 3000 litre going and it is a shit load work every day. BTW, I am german. ;)

Recent Posts