clownfish died

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by Mr_G, 30 Sep 2010.

1. Mr_G

Mr_G

went home yesterday and found my clown fish dead, Im new to the hobby, loving it, but seems my clownfish dont like to live... I bought three in the begining, dont kill me now, one died cause he didnt want to eat, so the other 2 got cosy and was always together, swimming together, etc, and then my water got high nitrite, like 5mg/L, and my small clownfish died, so I assume that was Nitrite, so I was away the weekend, my mom looked after my fish, got home, and my clown didnt want to eat, already suspected something wrong, monday came, still nothing, went to buy tropic marine test kit, tesed No2 and it was 0,1mg/L (been treating my water), saw the clownsfish eyes were not normal, it was mostly white with small black pupil, yesterday got home, and dead, so wondering why he died, my other fish(still not sure what it is) is 100% and eating and swimming everywhere... My two molly's (who is helping to cycle the last 2-3 weeks since my No2 spiked) is also sharp, my turbo snails doing what they do best, havent tested all parameters yet, but water seems to be perfect, so why oh why did the clownfish died? Im very very new to the hobby, so please dont bite my head off... Tomorrow Im doing a 30% waterchange again... Oh and my zoa(finally got the name of my coral) was not feeling well when the No2 was high, but she is coming along nicelly again so proud of her... Thanx guys...

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Broder

Broder Mudshark

Hard to say why the fish died. They often come from the supplier with inherent problems, so don't beat yourself up too much. The best that you can do now, is to test your water on a weekly basis until the tank reaches some kind of stability before you add any new fish. When you do, add one at a time so as not to strain the biological filtration too much and to allow it to catch up.

If however you introduced a disease or parasite into the tank, you'll have to watch your other fish closely for a week or 2. If it's all clear after that, then go ahead as above.

4. Broder

Broder Mudshark

A quarantine tank is the correct way of purchasing and introducing new fish. You should look at setting one up if you want to save yourself a lot of pain in the future.

5. vatso

vatso

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

6. Mr_G

Mr_G Thread Starter

would like more details of a quarantine tank, I have this nice 3ft 90L tank with build in sump that I thought I can use as treatment tank, if I add LR and no coral do I need a skimmer?bTW I will only start adding fish again in November, hopefully my No2 will be down to 0.05 this week sometime, Marine tanks are so much different from freshwater, but I totally fell inlove with th hobby...

7. vatso

vatso

I am very happy with how my QT works no losses yet "touch wood"

I use live rock & ceramic rings to break down the ammonia cycle I also do 100% water changes on it every 2 weeks as that's the amount of water I change from my main DT.

I have not yet had it where white spot have been transfered from my main tank to my QT & if it does I will just dose copper.

The copper I use does not kill the bacteria that removes breaks down the ammonia

what other details would you like?

also if you feeding heavily in your QT tank just wait 30min after feeding & suck uneaten food out the tank trough a filter sock & put the water back.

DO NOT have sand in your QT glass bottom is the way to go

8. Mr_G

Mr_G Thread Starter

I will give a QT a go then, will keep it somewher out of sight tho, space becoming an issue... Thanx bud, still need to learn the copper stuff also...

9. vatso

vatso

QT tank is very easy to keep as it does not need all sorts of additives & light &&&.

Just keep is KISS & ask if you need help.

PS - over feeding does not mean the fish is going to eat took me a long time to realise that

10. Mr_G

Mr_G Thread Starter

Eah,I know you shouldnt feed your fish to much...cant wait till Nov, want to get fish...haha, but patience is a mustg with this hobby... i can easilly see how people spend R100k on their tanks...

11. Trev

Trev

Hey Mr G. Firstly I am sorry to hear of the loss of your clowns.

Secondly IMO its a misconception that clownfish ( occelaris ) are the idea beginner fish. Infact they are everything but that, as the guys have mentioned they are major disease carriers and they also do not tolerate poor water conditions. Why don’t you tell us more about your display tank and then the guys will be able to give you some better fish options to begin with.

Regards
    Trev

Recent Posts