clownfish and hammer info

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by TheTurk, 18 Aug 2014.

1. TheTurk

TheTurk

Okay so for the last couple of weeks my one clown fish (the slightly bigger one) started hosting my hammer coral. Now its completely hosting the coral. My other clown fish doesn't.

I know that its pretty normal for one to host and another not to but at night they both sleep between the hammer coral heads rubbing against them. Is this normal?

Thanks

Sean

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Carter-PE

Carter-PE

Hi Sean

My fire clown does the same and in my previous tank, my occelaris also did it.

4. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Normal but not ideal. Clowns can be a bit rough when hosting a coral and can damage the hammer because of its sharp skeleton under soft tissue.

5. Jason

Jason

Mine is busy hosting my torch coral but everytime they touch the coral it retracts. The hammer is about 5times the size of my torch so it looks like they might go for my hammer as they left the torch alone...

6. TheTurk

TheTurk Thread Starter

Is there anything i can do in the meantime that doesn't involve removing the fish or coral? Only planning on getting an anemone in like three months time and really don't want the clown fish damaging the hammer.

My hammer doesn't really retract when the clown hosts it during the day, which i guess is good...

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

depending on the size of your tank, I would move the coral to the oteher side of the tank. Or put the coral in the sump for a day. Put a pincushion or bubble tip anemone where the hammer used to stand and see if they will take that one over.

Tank bred clowns tend to not host, or they might eventually host.

8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

But overall, any clown hosting in LPS eventually leads to the demiss of the coral. Unless its a rather large coral. So rather move the coral and try to get a suitable replacement. An anemone is not the only answer. Ocealaris clowns can host in pin cushion with longish tentacles.

9. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Nothing you can do about it. If it really loves the hammer it will probably follow the coral to where you move it. Adding an anemone won't guarantee that it moves away from the hammer either.

Last edited: 20 Aug 2014
  10. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

depends.
    Mine LOVED their big pincushion. Stayed in it and never even think about the anemone that was less than 15cm away.
    When I moved the tank, they were housed temporary in the same tub as the anemone with the big pincushion in a deeper tub. Even before I added them back to the new display, they had accepted the anemone as a new hosting spot. I ensured that I added them as close as I could to the anemone into the tank and they stayed there. But it is a much bigger tank. If you just move something a bit away and its still in sight I believe they will just follow it anyway as 459b stated.

Recent Posts