Urgent help needed Clown with Ich

Reaction score
Hi guys.
I've got a false clown. For about 2 weeks I noticed small white bump. It seemed to be a bit worse in the mornings then better/less obvious later. Figured it was ich. What I'd read varied some said reduce stress feed garlic others said treatment, hypo.
I also read Riaanp bucket method but as he said might be too much work for one fish.

Anyways I reduced the light cycle and kept up with feeding. All seemed good till this morning when it's now got quite a few white specks. Question is, it's the only fish in the tank with 5 snails, cleaner shrimp, peppermint shrimp, porcelain crab and some corals is it worth reducing the light cycle more, how will corals cope, getting a garlic supplement and maybe a reef safe treatment or should I set up a QT tank?

IF I do keep him in the DT and it clears up and I see no signs for 6weeks would that mean the tank is ich free? The reason I ask is if I'm going to do it I'd like to atleast know I can add additional fish. I've been holding out due to the early signs.

Thanks in advance

You will not get your system Ich free.

System can be Ich free after about 10 to 11 months only. With fish in the system, and without adding any other new infected fish or corals that might carry cysts, WS dies out eventually. But any new fish in the next 10 months can become infected.

Best is to remove the clown and let your system run without any fish for 6 weeks. During that period, get the fish healthy. On one small clown, you need less than 20L water to be able to do the bucket treatment.

If you want a clean system, and want to buy other fish soon. that is what you have to do.

Thanks Riaan, figured that might be the answer.
Had a read over your bucket treatment again. I don't have 2 of everything or a 1 micron filter. I think I'm going to do a hospital tank with regular big water changes. Seems hypo needs to be exact to work right so not sure if I'm going to do that. Might do higher temps to try speed the cycle?

Been looking on the net. Seen Prodibio spots and velvets. Anyone use it? Is it worth giving it a try. Can't pick up much extra info. Seems it's reef safe?
Fish looks happy enough again this evening, ate fine swimming around. Boy this is frustrating!

Update, this morning everything seems fine?! no visible spots, swimming around fine. I did a water change on Sunday and maybe that stressed it out? I'm going to monitor for a few days and see how it goes. Glad I didn't spend the cash on a QT tanks and bits just yet.

look again 10 to 14 days from today.

Next couple of days he will be all OK.

relook at this picture to understand why
10944d5110a7027e1.jpg

Thanks Riaan, yes figured it was just them dropping off although it was only one day. I'll try keep it healthy to get immunity up and hope for the best. Could it have been another white spot condition that the cleaner could have taken care of?

Ok so as expected my clown has got visible spots again, trophonts, I did use the time to get a second tank ready to use as QT for hypo and in hindsight should have moved the fish over before visible infection was back. I will be lowering the salinity over the next 2 days. Should I drop it quicker?
Any tips about going hypo?
Was wondering if i should use the opportunity to add a second fish? I could add it to the QT tank with the clown and once my 6-8 weeks of fallow DT is done add both.
Killing two birds with one stone so to speak. Hopefully not two fish with one tank.....

Last edited:
if they are already infected, they will just carry the infection over to the quarantine system. Hypo is effective, but do not kill all WS 100%. Some can survive.

Best is to move the fish via buckets first. Can add new fish and do the bucket treatment for both together.

After bucket process, move them both to the holding system. At least you will then be 100% sure no WS entered the holding system. Then also not needed to run it at hypo. Can run it normal.

I looked at the bucket system a few times. Don't have 2 of everything or a micron filter. So thought hypo was next best thing. If it's a waste though I'll try sort myself out. I've already moved it over to the tank also...

Back
Top Bottom