Clown triggerfish chewing through electrical cable

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Ala Jardine, 5 Apr 2012.

1. Ala Jardine

Ala Jardine

I was passing the recently (but temporarily) set up tank for my clown triggerfish and noticed the transparent plastic tube I had used as a sheath to protect the electrical cord from a Boyu skimmer (yes, I realise with the seriously great skimmers on the market today, this chap is not much to write home about, but it is also temporary) lying on the substrate - this skimmer is hanging on the side of the tank and the pump is in the aquarium (no sump on this system).

I reached in with the aquarium tongs to retrieve it and got a serious tingling sensation. It turns out that after removing the protective plastic tubing, the triggerfish had began biting at the electrical cable - she had removed some of the outer black layer and it looked like there were pin-prick marks in the coating of the actual wiring.

I imagine if I had come in a bit later, she would have bitten / chewed through the cable completely.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. gMAN

gMAN with the plan

Hey Alan, seems like she's trying to bite to file her teeth (I would imagine)? Do you feed her mussel? Just a tip IMO, try feeding shelled mussel, after eating the mussel, she has the shell to file her teeth down on?
    Just a suggestion

4. Ala Jardine

Ala Jardine Thread Starter

She is getting a pretty varied diet gMan - small crabs / sand shrimps / brown mussels / red-bait / fresh prawns / oysters / calamari and scallop with roe - but I appreciate the advice. Many thanks.

Recent Posts