Clown ID

Discussion in 'ID Needed' started by johanpm, 24 Feb 2011.

1. johanpm

johanpm

Hi guys,

I have always had this little guy in my tank. When I purchased the new tank, I got two clown with it. They are a diff type than this one. These 2 are now chasing this little guy all over the tank and I had to sump him for now.

Firstly, I need to know what kind of clown he is, secondly will it solve the bullying prob if I get him a mate?

Thx[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. LuckyFish

LuckyFish MASA Contributor

Firstly it is a percula. Secondly, it looks like a captive bred percula as the tail bar is not 100%. If nutrition, light, water parameter are right and he is happy, he will turn into this one:

[​IMG]

You can clearly see that the black will develop towards the picture above. Take note of the tail bar in the picture. Also captive bred.
    The percula I have looked the same like the clown in the picture when I got him, which is an Onyx percula. Due to a lack of space I had to put him in a tank, where he is not happy. He lost almost all the black and looks similar to yours.
    The clown you have is a female and if you want to give him a mate, you have to make sure it is a juvenile. Just a smaller clown than yours will not do the trick. Any single clown will turn into female at the age of roughly 15 to 20 months.

What other clowns do you have? How big is your tank? How old are these new clowns?

Last edited: 24 Feb 2011
  4. johanpm

johanpm Thread Starter

Thx LuckyFish.

So I need to find an Onyx Percula Clown aged less than 15 months... Will this stop the other fighting with her? As I can only guess they are fighting cause the other 2 are a male and a female.

5. LuckyFish

Anothe percula will do, don't need to be an Onyx. What other clowns have you got? How old are they? What tank size have you got?

6. johanpm

johanpm Thread Starter

I think the other 2 are just common clowns. Here is a very bad pic...

They do not have the black stripe between the orange and white. They are about twice the size of the Percula. Tank is 2mx800x700.[​IMG]

7. LuckyFish

Okay, looks like ocellaris. Your tank is big enough for two pairs. I reckon you don't have an anemone. So I would put a clay flowerpot, laying on it's side into your tank. Make sure that the pot is not further away from the side pane than half a metre. As soon as the pair hosts in the pot, they will start spawning and not swim further than the middle of the tank. That is the time to buy another percula and another flowerpot. Put the new pot in the other corner of your tank and both pairs will live in peace. Do not add a new clown until the pair is settled in the pot. Otherwise they will kill the new one in no time. Make sure you introduce the new clown close to the single one and not close to the pair. Young clowns are always looking for mates, even if they get a hiding. The flowerpot should be 10cm in diameter.

8. johanpm

johanpm Thread Starter

Shot! Thx for the help LuckyFish!

9. johanpm

johanpm Thread Starter

Anything a bit more natural looking than a pot that could work? Coral?

10. LuckyFish

Anything that would provide the same shelter as a pot. You could build a small cave with a few rocks.

Recent Posts