Clown/harlequin sweetlips issues

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by Diveshan, 20 Oct 2010.

1. Diveshan

Diveshan

Howzit guys
    I got myself a sweetlips about a week and a half back, the problem is that it appears to have whitespot for about a week now but is showing no signs of stress and is eating properly(only frozen foods). Also the eyes appear to be very slightly cloudy but not swollen, the only other livestock is a scopas tang and a racoon butterfly. I have tried the lights off with higher temp thing which normally works on my reef tank but this time nothing, so im wondering if this could possibly be velvet and should i copper treat him?
    thanks

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

If you are sure it is whitespot and he is eating then I would just leave him. Copper treatment should be the last resort. Add some garlic extract to the food as it will help to boost the immune system.

4. Diveshan

Diveshan Thread Starter

thanks dude bt the problem is im not sure if it is indeed whitespot or marine velvet, im tending to lean towards whitespot however as velvet would likely have killed the fish by now, where could i get hold of some garlic extract from? LFS?

5. Pistolshrimp

Pistolshrimp

go to the kitchen, ask ur gran for a clove of garlic, take a finger nail size piece crush it up, mix with food and feed

6. rakabos

rakabos

You can also try vitamin additives to boost immunity - get at LFS

7. Diveshan

Diveshan Thread Starter

thanks guys i tried the garlic thing, i figured id stick it the bits of garlic as well even tho im sure the food absorbed alot of the extract, the guy at my lfs gave me some antibiotic tablets that he gives his fish also so if the whitespot isn't out in a few days i may just do the antibiotic thing, or is this not recommended?

8. magman

magman

is the fish twitching? Is the skin blotchy, when you say the eyes are milky, imo it sounds like flukes, I think guys on the forums blame WS when it is flukes. If it is you will have to treat all the fish. I found that garlic helped slow it with my angel so that I did not notice it for over 2 months, but a clown that did not eat garlic and got flukes from the angel was the first that I noticed it on. Also the angel used to camp by the cleaner. I cannot get all my fish out the DT, so am having to dose the DT with meds that are hard to get your hands on in the country, and expensive too.

Imo, get all the fish out and into QT and treat, you will have to treat for a minimum of 10 days to break the eggs cycle. Best bet is to leave the DT fishless for 4 weeks so they starve to death what is left in the DT. A good med is the Parasite clear tablets made by Jungle "tank Buddies". Each tablet treats 40lts, you put them in and they fizz. It is a bathwater med but works well on marines, you cannot dose it to the DT so the fish will have to go into QT.

Garlic slows the cycle, and a cleaner. If the fish is bad, and stops eating, then FW dips is a good temp solution, think you have to push over 8 minutes. (I don't know how sweetlips handle FW dips). The FW dips also are a very temp relief as it does not break the egg cycle. You check the flukes in the bottom of the FW bucket as they just fall off, they like little pips, and thousands come off.

If the fish is twitching, or rubbing, imo it is flukes, try get pics of the eyes for us. Is the skin blotchy also?

I don't think guys here realise how bad it is and always blame WS. take pics for us

9. magman

magman

Don't worry about the med being bathwater meds, the tank buddies parasite clear is safe for marine fish in QT, I used it on sensitive fish, and I know a reputable LFS use's it alot on new shipments regardless.

10. Diveshan

Diveshan Thread Starter

Nope no twitching, i wouldnt go as far as to say the eyes are milky but they are definitely not as clear as they meant to be, possibly a bit of blotchy skin but it is also starting transition to its adult color so that may be the reason for the skin as the tang doesnt have any of these signs. however i did take a close look today and the small whitespots are clearly visible, do flukes look the same as WS?
    Im gonna go get some of those tablets if it is flukes, will load a picture tomorrow morning :)

11. Diveshan

Diveshan Thread Starter

Also the cleaner idea wont work coz dont sweetlips eat invertz? i mixed the garlic in with the food but it will just spit out the tiny pieces of garlic when it does try eating that

12. magman

magman

I only found the garlic and cleaners slowed the problem, I must of had it for over two months before I noticed it.

I know with flukes, it looks like w/s, but you tell as well by the twitching, and also by the eye's, they look like they got a film over the eyes with w/s also on the eyes. Just keep an eye out for those symptons.

The fish is eating, so that is the main thing. Just keep an eye on it and make sure your water quality is as good as possible.

13. Diveshan

Diveshan Thread Starter

What about it being velvet? His fins were looking slightly tattered, Should I try the antibiotics from the LFS first coz the guy said let it soak into the food and dose for 7 days, I'm not sure of the name but I know he was using the stuff, I'm not home at the moment so sorry about not loading picz, magman I'm actually near ur area, where did u get the meds u advised from? I may pop in to the same store today n get some
    Thanks dude

14. magman

magman

I honestly don't know about velvet. The only effective way to see if it's flukes is with a fw dip, then the flukes fall off immediatly and you see them at the bottom of the jug, except the eggs which rehatch days later. I know if the fish has bad flukes and you fw dip it, and kill all the flukes, the fish bleeds to death from the bite holes, best is to do 2-3 minutes and then increase the time for the dips to slowly kill them.

If the fish is not twitching, then maybe it's not flukes, I don't know why you got the cloudy eyes then also if it's w/s. Also blotchy skin is a sign of flukes.

Try the microbelift herbtana, I don't know it personally, but believe it is good for a wide range, and goes into the dt. It does not kill the parasites, it boosts the fish so that the parasites can't feed on the fish, and they starve to death (something like that).

I wish I could be of more help, I know what it's like, I am still dosing my tank, havn't run the skimmer or reactors for a while, all the gha I been battling to get rid of is coming back, is a nightmare and the stress of losing your inmates, try posting pics.

The other med was "parasite clear" by Jungle tank buddies, is tablets that you dose to a qt tank only.

I been dosing Prazipro, which you can only import and it takes a while to get here, but it goes straight into the dt

Last edited: 23 Oct 2010
  15. Diveshan

Diveshan Thread Starter

Thanks dude im gonna get some of that microbelift herbtana stuff :) seems like a good product to use, what are you dosing your tank for though that you have your skimmer and reactors off?

16. chrismaritz

chrismaritz

Can't start a new thread as yet but would like to know where one can get a hold of a sweetlips clown... Where did you get yours?

17. TaahirS

TaahirS MASA Contributor

You can start a new thread:)
    Either under the wanted forum or sponsor request forum.:thumbup:

Recent Posts