Clown fish with white growth in gills

Discussion in 'Quarantine Tanks, sick fish, QT corals' started by ziguri, 21 Oct 2014.

1. ziguri

ziguri

One of my clowns, which has been in my tank for a few months now, has a white growth coming out of the bottom of its gills. The growth is rather small at the moment and looks like some kind of fungus. Clown is eating and swimming around as usual. I first noticed the growth last week on the left side. leftside looks the same as last week, it hasnt grown, but i am beginning to notoce the same growth on the right as well. The behaviour of the clown hasnt changed. Any idea what this could be, and should i be worried?

Last edited: 22 Oct 2014
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

picture?

4. Toolboysa

Toolboysa Moderator

Think its the same thing my clown had years ago and for the life of me I cant remember what its called based on your discription. At first I didn't know what it was tried everything even fw dips to formalin to bacterial stuff. It turned out its just a growth set on by stress. He was tiny back then so I just got myself a a cheap 1ft tank and kept him in there for about a month and half growth subsided and put him back in the DT and 2 years later she is still with me

5. Toolboysa

Toolboysa Moderator

Could be lymphocystis. Must be getting old that I cant remember excatly

6. ziguri

ziguri Thread Starter

Thanks guys, will try and get a clear picture tonight. It is barely noticable, but hopefully i can capture it in an image. At first i thought it was just a small injury, but my thoughts changed after i seen it pop up on the right side as well. I did recently change my light cycle, in a bid to stop problematic algae from spreading. I also had my hand in the tank for quite a while when i did my most recent water change, pulling out most of the algae.. could have contributed to the stress, im not sure. All my other fish are fine though, no other signs of sickness.

Last edited: 22 Oct 2014
  7. ziguri

ziguri Thread Starter

Tried to get a pic, but to no avail, clown is moving too fast and cant capture the infected area, but as i said, it is basically just some white stuff coming out of its gills

8. Krushto

Krushto

Could possibly even be some monogeneans... I had on a clown that I picked up from a petstore, and the monogenean (a marine diplozoon) now resides in a specimen jar in 70% EtOH :p
    Just a thought though, but without a pic cant really say...

9. ziguri

ziguri Thread Starter

Ive kept in in the main tank and have noticed an improvement, growth almost gone on the one side.. fingers crossed

Recent Posts