Urgent help needed Clown Fish - whitish mouth/growth

Reaction score
Hi

New to Hobby, cycled tank for roughly 2 months, parameters checked out good for adding livestock.

Live-stock:
3 x Red-legged hermits
2x Trochus snails
2x small Clownfish (roughly 2-3CM)

08/02/2022
PH - 7.9-8.1 (since the start)
NH4 - 0
NO2 - 0
NO3 - 8
PO4 - 0.1
Salinity - 1.026

I now have to 2x adorable small clowns - the first couple of days no issues at all eating healthy, swimming normally etc. I would say roughly 5 days after introducing them to my tank i started to notice their mouths were a bit white, since then it seems like there is mucus coming off/small whitish growths - it doesn't seem to be spreading or getting worse (only on mouths, during this time they have been eating normally, swimming normally - still are) See PIC. more videos or photos can be provided if required.

When I say eating and swimming normally, this is with my experience which isn't much - but they don't seem to be doing anything "weird" and swim as they did in the LFS. (seem to be staying near the feeding zone/front of glass)
Feed them roughly 3/4 times a day with just a couple of pellets at a time, they don't seem to be going after frozen foods though. (after de-frosting 1/4 block and adding small bits at a time)

Food used :
Pellets - Hikari Marine "S"
Frozen - Ocean Nutrient Marine mix

Now I'm trying to figure out what it is and what the cause may be or treatment, googling keeps on pushing me to :

- coral sucking (getting used to the sting) - I have no corals/anemone in the tank.
- Brooklynella (perhaps in very early stages?!)

Any advice or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-02-10 at 1.18.02 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-02-10 at 1.18.02 PM.jpeg
    37.7 KB · Views: 38
Brooklynella don't play nice. It usually take out fish very quickly. It's very easy to see as it looks like the fish skin is peeling.

I'm praying its not Brook... but if it is, hopefully i caught it soon.

I would say it appeared within a day or 2 - from looking perfectly healthy to having the white mouth and a day later the almost growth looking "things" - I've tried taking some PICS through my sunglasses and a small vid - perhaps helps

added a small YT video of them as well.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-02-10 at 5.41.05 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-02-10 at 5.41.05 PM.jpeg
    37.7 KB · Views: 31
  • WhatsApp Image 2022-02-10 at 5.43.01 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-02-10 at 5.43.01 PM.jpeg
    41.8 KB · Views: 29
How quickly did the symptoms develop?
Pic isnt very clear, but might be lymphocystis
this is so far looking like the answer - (no idea what the cause may be, is there a ICP testing company or service which anyone may have used before ? )
i think if it was Brook - they may have passed away already or symptoms have perhaps gotten worse.. they appear to look exactly the sam, in fact the smaller clown looks a bit better

If it was brook it's highly unlikely that the fish will just survive it without any intervention. You can buy icp tests from easyreefs.

If it was brook it's highly unlikely that the fish will just survive it without any intervention. You can buy icp tests from easyreefs.
I get what you saying, let me do some research into treating brook, just to ensure there are no adverse effects should I treat them for it and it not be the case - appreciate your response and help bud!

From what I can remember you dip them in formaline bath. But it's a bit hectic on fish. Will only do it if I'm 100% sure. Alternatively you do chloroquine phosphate. Wich is the route I'll take. But both these methods you need a qt setup. But the other thing is if it is brook there's no point in treating the fish if you not going to leave the tank fallow.

From what I can remember you dip them in formaline bath. But it's a bit hectic on fish. Will only do it if I'm 100% sure. Alternatively you do chloroquine phosphate. Wich is the route I'll take. But both these methods you need a qt setup. But the other thing is if it is brook there's no point in treating the fish if you not going to leave the tank fallow.
i've bought a QT for this reason, so glad its coming into use, going to monitor them over the weekend and if any changes, will move to QT and start dipping & treating

Back
Top Bottom