clown fish help

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by butcherman, 10 May 2010.

1. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

[​IMG]
    Can anyone help me out here I know the picture sucks but its the best i can do. I got two clowns and the bigger one of the two has a mark or something on the left hand side just where the gill ends. he hasnt eaten food in 3 days now, but other wise seems to be actting normal, I'm getting a little worried about him. Anything i can or should be doing?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Anemone

Anemone

Have you seen any fighting? When were they added?

4. butcherman

butcherman Thread Starter Moderator MASA Contributor

No the 2 of them swim together nicely. The second clown eats like a little pig(and is alot smaller than the bigger one) the bigger one, if he dose look at the food spits it out again he dose the same with other things floating in the water. Im feeding ocean nutrition formula one flakes at the moment. they where added on friday afternoon so about 72 hours ago

5. Anemone

Anemone

Some frozen food may get him to eat. You can also try soaking in garlic. I would move it to QT.

6. butcherman

is the move to QT to isolate him and to get him to eat?

7. LuckyFish

LuckyFish MASA Contributor

What does the "mark" look like? Like a wound or more like a parasite?
    I had six new clowns and 5 were eating from day one. The last one started eating at day 5. She is a bit fuzzy. They always get my sefmade food. Now I had to made new food and the food is a bit more stiff than the previous food I made. So she refused to eat for a few days. Now she eats it. All my fish go crazy for this food, but sometimes you get such fuzzy fish. Many of my fish eating much less, when I feed them with the new made food. They are use to it for a few weeks, then the food comes out slightly different and they just try a bite until they get use to it. Strange.
    Monitor the mark on his body. Lots of things show up and disappear on its own. If is getting bigger, you have to get a better picture on here.
    My yellowbelly male had also something similar. I went away on it´s own.

You (and I mean all of you guys) must always remember, a wildcaught fish should get fed firstly with frozen food like mysis or brines. The should recognize the first dead food as a critter or shrimp. Not that they know what a brine shrimp looks like, but at least it looks like a sea creature. There are no pellets or flakes in the ocean.

8. Anemone

Anemone

Isolate in case there is disease, although all newly purchased should be in QT to lessen the chances of disease spreading to your display tank.

9. butcherman

Well they are the first fish in the tank whoch has been cycling about 12 weeks now. but i can try QT the one i guess.

thank for your help so far brenda :)

10. Mauritius-aquarist

Mauritius-aquarist

Do u have other fish. Another method to make it eat faster, is if u have other fish eating nicely. Looking at others eating, it will naturally try to get at the food. I always keep one eating fish in all the tanks in my stock facility. I've found it to be efficient.

11. AfricaOffroad

AfricaOffroad

I used to buy the frozen mixed bag of sea food from the hyperstores.
    The stuff people buy for stir fries etc.
    Came with pink prawn, calamari, squid, hake, mussels. Chop it up fine and then defrost.
    The chum created made the fish go into a feeding frenzy. Almost any fish would start eating from this witches brew.

12. butcherman

ok clown look looked at the froezn food i gave them but still didnt eat anything.
    i examined him the mark is just infrom of his gill its a very light pink mark with what appears to be a dark coloured dot in the middle. the mark is slightly lower than the rest of surface of the of the skin as it was. i have moved him to QT in the mean time.
    [​IMG]
    what do you guys think this is, diagnosing things isnt my strong point.

13. PeterL

PeterL

I think it looks sad and needs one of my "ice cubes".
    I have a blend of sea food mix, the stuff you get at P 'n P. just variation of goodies and my fish go nuts for the stuff. It makes a mess in the tank so alternate between that and pellets with garlic, one day on, one day off. Also adds a bit of veriety and they all looks good.

As for the specific problem at hand, I am not sure what it may be...I am just down the road in Sunward Park if you want to give a try with my mix or want to try the pellets with garlic.

14. Achilles

Achilles

it maybe but the bad pics don't alllow definite diagnosis a small fish louse feeding close to the gills to get at the rich blood supply there, do you have any cleaner shrimp around i think they may eat such a parasite , my suggestion is keep the water quality excellent no ammonia no nitrite stable ph and kh and very low nitrate and try to add some appetite stimulant to his food like crushed garlic and vitamins try different foods as well like frozen blood worms, krill and mysis and chopped mussel.

hope the clown comes right ;)

Recent Posts