Clown Bullying anemone..

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Nur, 16 Aug 2011.

1. Nur

Nur Starz

just wanted to get some opinions..

i have a rather large sebae anemone, who is i think thriving as he does not move eats nicely (i feed when i get home from work so i woch to make sure he doesnt discard the food). i feed it thawd prawn, two peices the size of a 10c coin.

problem i have is that it seems to me that my dominant clown in the tank is bullying it.. it will swim away and charge at the anemone at high speeds just to bury its body in the anemone, most troubling is when he rubs his head by the mouth of the nennie making like he's trying to go in???

thanks in advance for contructive feedback..

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

That's pretty normal, and does not usually bother/harm the anemone.

The only time you have to worry is when the fish is relatively large, compared to the nennie - they can then (sometimes) pester the nennie too much, or even steel it's food from out of it's mouth. In this case, just remove the clown for a few weeks, to allow the anemone to recover fully before trying again.

Hennie

4. Helga

Helga

I agree with Reef Maniac. I have a pair of Maroon clowns hosting in a bubble tip. The female is quite large. I was also concerned about them pounding the nennie. They have been hosting in it for 1 year now. The nennie seems to be vary happy with her "pounding" it. He has spawned twice now in the tank.... :blush: They never ever wander to far away from their "house", but when they occasionally take a swim, she returns after a few secs charging back to him. Sometimes she just waddles in him with a tentacle in her mouth. Much to the dismay of the female maroon, the smaller male would remove everything from the nennies mouth even the lance fish I fead the nennie, she would immediately take it from him and put it back. Looks like the 2 have things sorted now. (seems he understands how things work around the house now :tt2:). The clowns are spawning non-stop on a monthly basis. :thumbup: D

5. Nur

Nur Thread Starter Starz

thanks guys, i have 3 pairs spawning daily..

it is however too difficult to catch that clown..she is relatively small compared to the nennie. i forgot to mention that she sometimes takes the food from the nennie, and discards is much to the delight of the cleaner wrasse. today i saw the clown rubbing his head by the mouth of the nennie, on closer inspection i say the mouth of the nennie was a bit open like the size of a 20c coin.

the tentacle are still long and sticky, colouring still looks good, below is a pic of the nennie with the culprit infront of her. i'm just scared the clown bothers the nennie too much and its health suffers from this..

[​IMG]

nennie still looks the same as above..

6. Reefhead

Reefhead

Wow that bubble is an amazing colour

7. Nur

Nur Thread Starter Starz

:) thanks.. you should check out my pics.. link is below.. but topic at hand is this scolley clown i have..

8. Reefhead

Reefhead

Dude you stressing for nothing, its perfectly natural behavior for the clown and the nennie. The nennie loves it, it happens to him all the time in nature

9. Nur

Nur Thread Starter Starz

Excuse my ignorence but i was under the impression that a nennie gaping is not a good sign.. i have (from feedback i received, thanks btw) decided i will give them a chancce and let things be.. if howerver i start seeing the nennie show signs of stress (discoloring, shorter tenticles, less sticky tips) i will be forced to do something about it.. but until then thanks for the input.. much appreciated..

10. Anita

Anita Sponsor

I agree, don't stress, sometimes they want the anemone to move to another spot, sometimes they feed the anemone, sometimes they take the food out of the mouth, it is all natural behaviour for clowns/anemone, normally the anemone gets enough food from what the clowns drop inside, cheers Anita
    PS I do agree that a gaping mouth is not great, keep a eye on it and do not feed it for a while.

11. Anita

Anita Sponsor

I would not feed an anemone every day, only about once a week, Anita

12. Nur

Nur Thread Starter Starz

sorry i did not add, i feed it twice a week.. monday and friday..

thanks for the input..

Recent Posts