Urgent help needed Cloudy water

Reaction score
Hi guy's, last week I added r.o. to my new tank, left the water to recirculate for a few days to monitor for any leaks and get the temperature up to 25 degrees celcius.
On the third day I noticed the water slightly cloudy but didnt really bother.
By the end of day 4, I could not see through the tank so decided to drain and refill.

Once again after refilling I am experiencing the same problem.
This is my 15th year in the hobby and my 6th setup, its the first time I've ever experienced this issue.
Some help would be appreciated.

Important points:
- tank is 1200 x 700 x 500(height) starfire, rimless 12mm
- product water post t.d.s = 0.00ppm but inreases once recirculating in the tank. 0.14ppm today.
- the clear vinyl tubing connecting the chiller and fragtank has been soaked in vinegar for 24 hours
before being used also the tank, sump and fragtank has been wiped down with vinegar and r.o.
before the second fill.
- No salt has been added yet, I have carbon running in 2 reactors.

Apologies if I've posted in the wrong forum.
Thanks in advance, some pics :
20180823_184415.jpg

2nd fill 23/08/18

20180823_184415.jpg
20180826_180141.jpg

Pic taken today.

Well with all your experience i cant really give you a technical reason or chemical explanation but with all my past experience my tanks did the same. Started with natural seawater and synthetic salt. The first few days its cloudy and then starts clearing up as the system runs. What causes it i cant say but it not something i have worried about before. Hope someone with more technical knowledge can maybe give you an explanation. I wouldnt worry about it and add your salt, sand and rocks and let the system start cycling. Good luck and what an awesome looking build

Do you have any water surface agitation ?
Water swirling is all good and well but the water surface needs to be broken for gas exchange so maybe lift your inlet pipe a little higher and add your salt, substrate and rocks like Dian said but pretty normal , only time my water hasn't been cloudy was when I added live sand , rock and established filtration from other tanks and I still end up with a little cycle ... throw some liquid bacteria in and should help a little .

If i think back when i setup my tank my tank also became cloudy. I stressed and chucked clarity in. Helped a bit but the cloudiness eventually went away on its own.

It’s very odd that RO water is getting cloudy.

I’m assuming all your equipment is cleaned.

Maybe make some more RO and leave it to stand for a day or two and see what the outcome is. If it’s clear than you need to do a check.

What if you turn the power of and let the RO stand in your tank ?

Also, get a 2nd opinion on the tds.

he clear vinyl tubing connecting the chiller and fragtank has been soaked in vinegar for 24 hours
before being used also the tank, sump and fragtank has been wiped down with vinegar and r.o.
before the second fill.

Could it be that the vinegar is adding some carbon source to the tank causing a bacterial bloom?

Back
Top Bottom