Cloudy Water

Discussion in 'Water Parameters and Additives' started by Albert Terego, 18 Jul 2012.

1. Albert Terego

Albert Terego

On Saturday evening we had a power failure for 5 hours.

The next morning the water in my tank was quite turbid/cloudy. It has slowly started clearing up but even today it is still a little murky. This is not the first time this has happened.

Any ideas on what causes this to happen (when power goes off)? It seems like a bacterial bloom but why?

I am only dosing Red Sea Phos-X/NO3-X at the moment (5ml/day for a 350l system).

Live stock: 15 zoa frags, 3 x ocellaris clowns, 3 x chromis, 1x banggai cardinal, 1x scooter blenny, 1 x cleaner wrasse and 1 x bicolor dottyback, 2 x brittle stars, sand sifitng star and a few snails/hermits.

Live rock - 6kg and also 20kg Caribsea Primo Reef Rock.

Filtration - Bubble Magus NAC 7 skimmer,
    Small DSB (about 15cmx25cm) - still maturing

Running - FE-oxide based phos remover in a reactor

Flow 2 x Sun Sun pumps (about 5000lph each)
    RO Return pump 5000lph

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

I'm thinking die-off and then it results in a bacterial bloom. Remember, you are adding a lot of bacteria into the system on a daily basis and with the 5 hours failure it could have resulted in some die-off due to reduced oxygen levels or the heat loss.

4. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

I agree 100% with marius meyer, i experienced exactly the same in my previous tank. (I dosed vodka for a while...)
    It is actually the aerobic bacteria that dies off due to less oxygen/flow in the tank & then, the bacteria that requires less oxygen has more favorable circumstances to thrive in, & with the abundance of food available (carbon & dead bacteria) they multiply at a rate that is scary...

It usually takes a about a week for the bacteria to reach a balance point in your system...
    Its nothing to worry about, but if i were you, i would reduce your red sea po4-no3x dosing for a couple of days & do a nice big waterchange...

5. DubKorps

DubKorps

also add carbon for kwicker results ... it will clean up most of the toxins causing the murkiness in the water coloumn

6. rakabos

rakabos

First rule of marines. If in doubt, do a big water change :)

7. Albert Terego

Albert Terego Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies everyone.

To add (which was why I suspected a bacterial bloom) a few months ago I raised my dosage amount of the Redsea Phos X to 8ml/350l form 4 mll to 350 litres. A day later I had extremely cloudy water. Stopped dosing the Redsea for a couple of days, ran some filter flow in the overflow and it cleared up in a few days.

Was just struggling to understand why I would get a bacterial bloom if the power went off. Did not think that die-off would occur so quickly.

On the bright side I suspect any nitrates and phosphates will now be undetectable.

Recent Posts