Cloudy water

Discussion in 'New Members' started by spamhood, 8 Apr 2010.

1. spamhood

spamhood

I am in the process of redoing my second 55 gallon tank. The one houses four rams, two veil tail angels, two pictus cats and two bristle nose. The other is home to a black convict, two green terrors, two jewels and a jack Dempsey. Both setups have two wal-mart brand filters rated at 40-60 gallons a piece. Every time i do a water change it seems to take a week or more before the water clears back up. I am using aqua safe with the water changes and i have tried dosing the tanks with nitraban after the water change is complete, nothing seems to help. I am new to these forums so any help would be greatly appreciated

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. chikaboo

chikaboo

Hey there spamhood ... welcome to MASA - i've heard of alot of fish species but these names are all new to me....

4. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

A VERY WARM WELCOME to "MARINEAQUARIUMSA", spamhood. Great to have you on-board!

Firstly - it seems that you are experiencing some issues with your freshwater aquarium.

I can give you SOME assistance, but, would also rather refer you to your sister-site: TropicalAquarium.co.za (URL:http://www.tropicalaquarium.co.za).....

My suggestion, would be as follows:
    - run some filter-wool, and also some Granular Activated Carbon.
    - also - get some addition bacteria additive from your local fish store (LFS for short), and dose according to the suggestion on the bottle (usually in a liquid form - but you do get this in powder form as well)...

The combination of the above should resolve your problems with the "cloudy water"....

Good luck!

5. xtreme

xtreme

Did you maybe started with a new food product? Cheap food can have a effect too.
    Maybe your local water supplier added stuff after a pipe burst or some thing, can cause algae bloom, try using distilled water and do as JacquesB said too.

6. Annoying

Annoying

I'm gessing your filter medium is not fine enough to clear up the milky water. In my freshwater tanks I find the best filter medium to make the water sparkling is filter wool, and allot of it. Maybe half your filter should just be wool.

Recent Posts