Cloud based Aquarium Controls

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Nemos Janitor, 1 Feb 2015.

1. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Thoughts on "cloud" based aquarium controls. Are they the way to go? Issues you have with them. Thoughts....

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor Thread Starter

Is the thinking that the big guys want to monopolize, or, just have some other innovative idea. What you think?

4. mytank

mytank

It's just a model "cloud" there are benefits to it, i.e. use the processing power of the cloud. The down sides are connectivity and the ability to access data when there is no power, connectivity or someone steals the cables.

IMO when it comes to something crucial like dealing with data to run a system - I have no problem with the cloud doing the intelligence on the data and some value add but I want it localized so I can make sure my tank runs if there are any interruptions.

Nemos Janitor likes this.
  5. mytank

mytank

I wouldn't say its to monopolize its rather to monetize. On the cloud allows them to drop development costs, customers to adopt newer services and or features easier and compete by being able to pervasively offer services to everyone at the same time.

It's the cloud model that all IT vendors are moving to now, the world has moved there.

6. Nemos Janitor

I have a wifi based lighting system that connects to a cloud. When there is a power out the ups runs the tank but not my network. So my lights go haywire because they are not connected to the cloud. Same thing when the ADSL line gos down which was the case recently. ADSL line down for two months.

7. mytank

mytank

Well, one of the first things that went on UPS and then Genny (UPS kicks in first while Genny stabilizes the power wave ) was my ADSL it uses very little power and my whole house is cloud connected. I use Netflix for TV, Stream music (I don't store music) all my files sit on OneDrive. So my ADSL and my network switch which is in my server rack is on constant power. A small UPS say 2200 can power your router for well over two hours at R1500. Most power outages are 1-3 hours.

8. Nemos Janitor

sorry side track. I have a few UPS that need repair. Any idea who services/repairs them?

9. mytank

mytank

Sh1t I don't know, I would suggest either the manufacturer or reach out to @dallasg. I buy all mine from the one and only UPS manufacturer APC. They have great after market service but you pay and pay proper :) again Ferrari vs Tata :)

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  10. Nemos Janitor

Thanks. I did ask Dallas and he only knows of the Ellie's UPS not the other makes.

11. mytank

mytank

Sparkies can also fix them, there are some sites the guys have referred to maybe a search or @dallasg again as I have seen him refer to them, they specialize in UPS and inverters. The only real things that go wrong in UPS's is the batteries and IMO a battery is a battery is a battery. So maybe taking it to one of them they can replace the batteries and get it up and running again.

Depending on the make of the battery it lasts different amount of times, I would suggest going for the better batteries this time wrong. I know that's one of the many reasons APC are more expensive as they use a different quality / type / make of battery in their UPS's.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  12. Vetrix

Vetrix

Could is a buzz word invented by marketing idiots, I really despise it.

All it essentially means is that the software is hosted on the net somewhere and not on site, on your PC or home server.

I prefer to keep everything local, even for my company. We've banned dropbox and other storage providers since we have very little control over it.

13. mytank

mytank

With a risk of getting into a very long debate I am going to respectively disagree. The cloud model has been around for years, the difference is HOW its done now. There is a vast difference between HOSTING which is what you referring to and CLOUD where you get Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS), Software as a Service (SaaS) and Platform as a Service (PaaS) and every other <something_here> as a service that is popping up.

The reality is that every real vendor is moving in that direction and betting the farm on it. Smart companies are finding ways to take advantage of it in some way.

You can't "stop" things like dropbox, onedrive, gmail, facebook you might block it on your corporate network but people will find ways to move things with USB sticks onto their personal devices and onto those services.

Even our government is using quite a few cloud services btw :) and that says a lot as they slow movers w.r.t technology

Each to their own and again I respectively disagree :)

dallasg likes this.
  14. Nemos Janitor

15. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

yes a battery is a battery, and generally its them that cause the issue

NJ i will speak to the repair guys and see if they can look at it

i need makes and model numbers to get the service manuals etc

16. Vetrix

Vetrix

IaaS, PaaS, SaaS ect ect are all hosted solutions. Renting a sever or piece software is just that, renting the infrastructure from someone else as opposed to hosting it yourself. Sure there are benefits, especially for SME's. Google Apps is great in that regard, but for corporates not so much.

Building a private cloud for corporates is where it is at but cloud is a misnomer since corporates have been doing it for years. Exceptions perhaps being services such as Salesforce.

The flash memory issue has been around for a long time and encrypted devices have become the norm so there is always a way around every issue.

Don't get me wrong, I extensively use onedrive personally but I just hate the Could buzz. NemosJ said his lights went haywire cause they are not connected to the cloud, I mean, come on, this is what the could buzz does to the uninformed.

Guess you must be one of the marketing idiots.... just kidding ofc :D
    As you say, Each to their own :p

17. NO3

NO3

Its #ontheline

:lol:

18. Nemos Janitor

Thank you Dallas.

one is a Line Interactive LT2000. I found the agents sinetec. I am hoping they can fix that one.

http://www.sinetech.co.za/printdocs/lt.pdf

the other is a Powerware 9120 1500 this one.

http://www.powercontrolsys.com/Powerware/9120FXA.pdf

the other is the ellies one. the ones you buy from builders.

OK thread derail over. Back to cloud.

Last edited: 2 Feb 2015
  19. zippy

zippy

Everything is going cloud so like the buzz word or not it is coming, it is the future.

As for Dropbox I have been using it for over 6 years and never had a single issue with it. My data is safer on Dropbox than on my hard drive that could pop or be stolen.

20. zippy

zippy

the device handling the cloud data or feedback if setup correctly or programmed correctly should have a "fall-over spec sheet" where based on the various inputs and outputs of sensors should still comfortably be able to maintain a tank for the downtime or whatever befalls the connection to the cloud, if it doesn't then it needs to be sent back to the supplier and revised, memory on such a small set of parameters and outputs as well as the relative inputs can and should be easily managed offline.

21. mytank

mytank

#seesthelight

Recent Posts