Closed Loop

Reaction score
I am seeing more and more tanks with insane amounts of flow (100x +) and these are the cleanest healthiest systems around.

I want to add a Closed Loop system with out drilling.

Is this possible ? Or should I just add another 3 or 4 powerheads (to the existing 4)

Sean some great info.

What are the black "joiners" ?

061120071935.jpg

i sold mine i dident like the idea of something (even water directing) restricting the flow... the trick to a CLS is a good quality pump that seals well and positioning valves at either end of the pump. i am using Aqua medic Ocean Runners for mine. the advantage to positioning the pump externally is that less heat isnt transfered into the tank

Thanks Leslie, so I can have normal joints where the scwd's are in the pic ?

To make sure I have even flow out of multiple outlets, do you have to work size pump and pipe size, or is this just a bit of a flyer ?

Chaotic random flow is the ideal to be aspired to. Current alternating devices substitute multiple pumps connected to wave making devices. Multiple pumps are Frikkin expensive, noisy, ugly, and they all dump their heat into the tank. A slight loss in head pressure is a small price to pay.

Chaotic random flow is the ideal to be aspired to. Current alternating devices substitute multiple pumps connected to wave making devices. Multiple pumps are Frikkin expensive, noisy, ugly, and they all dump their heat into the tank. A slight loss in head pressure is a small price to pay.

I have a wave driving my 5, soon to be 6 powerheads, and it creates great chaos.

I just want to now add more flow without having to add another 3/4 powerheads

You can phone/pm/e-mail Andrew from Eco Aquatics. He stocks the Schewds. And yes, it works like a bomb, but there are better stuff coming into the market soon. As Andrew, he'll elaborate

By the way Warren, the closed loops will work wonders with the new stuff Andrew is waiting for (Random flow). This is the Closed loops:

DSC09940.jpg

DSC09951.jpg

What I've done. I have two external pumps, connected by a pipe that runs behind my rockwork (the outlets and t-pieces every 400mm). The inlets for each pump sits on either side of the tank- again behind some rockwork. Basically, each pump sucks out water from the tank and pumps it back towards each other, releasing streams through the outlets

Hi Warr - check out my thread, if you want to - I have a very rudimentary closed loop system (even though I have to work out some leaking issues still :-(

It is a 50mm plumbing pipe based system, which is connected to my 26000 l / hour Boyu pump. It sucks water from one end of 50mm piping, which is on the left hand side of my tank, and it pushes out water back into the tank at a +-45 degree angle from top-rear, to front-bottom.....

This is VERY rudimentary - and not 100% ideal. BUT, at least it could give you some ideas about doing something similar without drilling your tank.

i'll be putting a CLS in my big tankin the middle.... perhaps build a big rock pillar around it....

Back
Top Bottom