Click click - oh no!

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by rakabos, 9 Sep 2011.

1. rakabos

rakabos

So hearing a click click sound in the tank cant be a good thing right?

Im not too clued up about the pistol and mantis shrimps of the world, so what do you guys think it could be? Started noticing it about 3weeks ago, especially after lights out

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dane

Dane

Either is certainly a possibility - but not the only source of clicking sounds. My turbo snail "cleans" himself by performing little twists of his shell - which if he is in the corner of the tank hits the glass and clicks.

Otherwise it could be either - they are very difficult to tell apart by sound. If you hear a clicking noise whenever you get near the tank or a piece of live rock that it might be hiding in then its probably a pistol shrimp - as they do click to scare off threats, whereas mantis shrimp do not.

I would suggest the invert bottle fish trap, or checking your tank out shortly after the lights go off with a red light.

Fish trap: Make a Plastic Bottle Fishing Trap

Last edited: 9 Sep 2011
    leslie hempel likes this.
  4. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

yep, what dane said...

5. Rory

Rory Admin MASA Contributor

Definitely sounds like a pistol...

Actually, if it's more knocking on the glass it's probably a snail. If it's more like "snap! snap!" then it's probably a pistol or a small mantis.

Last edited: 9 Sep 2011
  6. rakabos

rakabos Thread Starter

Its very distinctive. Literally click click, then nothing for 15min or so, then click click again. I've tried for the last week to see if i can spot anything after dark but no luck. Smallest fish I have are two Royal grammas, hopefully they steer clear of whatever this is

7. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

@Rory and if its quiet...... its nothing:tt2:

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  8. rakabos

rakabos Thread Starter

I have a blue dot goby and watchman goby. Is there anything to worry about if there is indeed a pistol shrimp in the tank ?

9. Tony

Tony

I got some green shrimp (coralliocaris graminea) as hitchikers on a coral once. They're still in the tank and click which sounds like tapping a coin on a piece of glass. My dogs go mad when they hear this and think there's someone outside

10. Dane

Dane

A pistol is less of a threat than a mantis (depending on the species etc). But either way your are definitely exposing all your inhabitants to death/injury by cavitation if you just leave it. Some people have kept a mantis in their tank for some time without issue, but those are the exceptions. Ask @459b what one of these little buggers did to his entire fish population...

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  11. rakabos

rakabos Thread Starter

Gonna be impossible to catch it in my tank ugh :(

12. Tony

Tony

I read on coral magazine that a pistol shrimp will take out a mantis shrimp but it wont harm your tank.

MArtin a lot of the zoas now days come on dead acropora branches with the zoa polyps grown over them. I have found a lot of critteres in between the branches hiding under the polyps. You probably found they came in that way but finding them is going to be a mission as the two in my tank dont move from their coral

13. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

bringing back very bad memories. I lost about seven fish in total before i took my tank down to get rid of the mantis. I thought i had a pistol or two, turned out to be four pistols and a mantis! Another problem with pistol shrimps is their habit of digging under your liverock and making it unstable. Pistol/mantis shrimps are the main reason i used dead liverock when i redid my tank and why all my rocks are permanently fixed together.
    That said - pistols do get a bed rep. Pistol/goby pair is an amazing site. Most mantis species stay small and wont do any damage. But best to remove it when it is small just incase it does do damage when it grows up.
    My advice would be to spend som quality time with your tank this weekend and identify what the cause of the clicking is.

14. rakabos

rakabos Thread Starter

Thx for the input. I spend quality time most nights lol, chucking out all the freaking zoa predators.

I was definitely planning to also re-do everything and i mean everything. I am sick and tired of hitch hikers eating my coral. So 70+ zoa colonies are gonna go out, all the SPS, all the LPS, ALLLLLLL the rock, and the poor fish.

So how long would one leave the rock outside to make sure its all dead, or would leaving it in freshwater also do the trick?

15. 2balive

2balive

Have you checked for insects behind/under the tank? Read somewhere on the forum someone discover in click beetle behind their tank, but was in Texas. Here it will have to be a Tok-tokie.

16. rakabos

rakabos Thread Starter

17. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

:lol::lol::lol:

18. student

student

Do you have any hermits?
    i have a hermit in my sump and often hear clicking from there- always thought it was my hermit, is that possible?
    If not ive also got a mystery clicker.

Recent Posts