Cleaning the back pane

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by VicZA, 26 Dec 2013.

1. VicZA

VicZA

Is it a good or bad idea to clean the back pane of your tank. Mine is a traditional style tank so the three viewing panes get cleaned often but I have yet to clean the back pane. Is that something I should be doing or not ? I see alot of people leave theirs alone.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Bendor

Bendor

Shoulda woulda. Personal preference related to effort, aesthetics and ability to effectively reach the back pane.

4. VicZA

VicZA Thread Starter

Cleaned half of it ... created a bit of a green storm in the tank (but ok now) will clean other half tomorrow and then start adding that to my maintenance schedule .... :thumbup:

5. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

if you have algae eaters such as snails or a mower blennies its a good idea to leave a small patch where algae will grow and the fish can feed

6. Fraser W

Fraser W Swazi Reefer

i Have seen in my refugium that pods love to eat all pods love to eat the film of algae that grows on the glass and as they are good for all round detris cleaning i would recommend leaving it till it becomes unsightly or as @HOT SAUCE suggested that mower blennies should take care of it

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

if you got a blue background, and want to take photo's of fish against the blue. Then you need to clean it weekly.

I prefer a black background. and never clean the back panel. Gives my snails a place to dine out at.

8. Midnight Reefer

Midnight Reefer

it depends on the actual backing I guess.

If you have a really nice image you want showing on the backing like a image of shallow ocean with light shimmers at the top and sand bed at the bottom, it adds great depth to a reef but must be kept clean to look "real" and presentable. my 50 pennies anyways :)

Backing can be kept clean easily but you must not skip a "cleaning session" and let the coralline take hold.....

Recent Posts